Sunday, February 10, 2008

Susan had to go up north yesterday, so couldn't walk; I went with the boys, instead. It's funny that I know exactly when The Platters will start "Only You" (right at Mary Ann Van O.'s driveway), and when good old Nat will gift me with "A Blossom Fell" (after I make the turn onto Windstar Drive). Guess I'm consistent with gait--not to mention CDs.
Ran up to Manahawkin to get Pat's present and the gift for the Woman's Club "Tricky Tray." Got him a heavy, zippered cardigan sweater and picked up a gift card for the TT. Stopped at Tucker Tom's for produce and got home in time to make Pat's lunch.
I then baked his birthday cake. Left it to cool. then went to Acme. Got some things, then took my BP, which was 127/79; pulse rate 71.
If I say it myself, the cake smelled divine when I came back in--chocolate and, when finished, it comes out very similar to the mocha cake my mother used to make so often. However, I could never find a recipe just like hers, so I approximate it with a plain chocolate cake and mocha icing. I had bought hamburger and quickly mixed it with egg and bread crumbs to make meatballs, browned them, and gave Pat spaghetti; I had salmon and sweet potatoes, along with a salad.
Iced the cake and wrapped the Tricky Tray item (a gift card from Kohl's). Susan called and asked if she could come over to bring me something. What a great friend and neighbor: She came to bring me a lovely bunch of daffodills, still slightly curled. When I leaned down, they spoke to me and said, "Spring!"
Alison called and asked if Mike could come Tuesday morning instead of last night and that was fine with me. Ray e-mailed that Barb is still in the hospital; now they think it's a kidney infection.
Even for me, it was a busy day--and very enjoyable. Tonight, we're looking forward to Pat's birthday party at Alison's; can't wait to see the Phillips Four.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

This is a singing post.
"Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Patrick Molloy, Happy Birthday to you."
Another day to celebrate.
My mouth is watering for that cake.

RBM, were you in the stands when he ran the 65 yard touchdown?

BTW, your B/P is super fine.

Mimi said...

Pat, I don't remember! I know I had a crush on him all those years ago, and used to go to the games to see him kick off. It's been--aagh!--60 years ago, I guess. Say what you will, there's little in life so painful or so mysterious as time passing.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...