Saturday, February 09, 2008

Skipped my walk and drove up to Ambler at 8 am to meet my cousins. Received a call from Betty on the way and pulled over for a few minutes to talk, but got to Aunt Claire's assisted living apartment a little after 10. Tom, his wife, Helen, and John were already there.
Aunt C.'s niece and nephew had removed some things, and partly bagged others, so the place was in disarray. It seems Aunt C. never threw away a checkbook, bill, bank statement, or anything else related to finance. Her nephew is an accountant, so he was going to take care of contacting "the trust" and so on. Lots of other stuff was strewed around, so it was pretty depressing.
Helen asked if I wanted anything. I had always liked a certain highboy, but was told the S. relatives had decided to take it, so I asked for a different one. Now I'm not so sure I want it--wouldn't you know. It looks pretty old, and isn't in perfect condition, so may need some work. I took the drawers, but couldn't get the body of it in my car; will have to figure out how to get it from Ambler before the place needs to be vacated.
Tom asked if I wanted the small television and I decided to take that, too. I don't want one in our bedroom, but the day may come when Pat needs to be in there, and we might as well get it now. Will store it until that time comes.
We all went to lunch after, along with neighbors of Tom and Helen. Had a wonderful fresh tuna nicoise salad, and brought half home.
Called Alison to ask if they could get the bureau with their pickup truck, only to be reminded they had sold it 4 years ago. It occurred to me that they have a roof rack and I think I'll ask if I can borrow it. I could get the bureau after the funeral and the luncheon if somebody will help me tie it on. The complication (there's always a complication, it seems) is that Pat has a dermatologist appointment at 4:30 and I'll have to get back by 4:00 to get him there; not sure if I can make it.
Alison and Mike are supposed to come down this evening so Mike can look at my computer. Otherwise, I can get the rack when we're up there tomorrow for Pat's birthday party...
Oops--Pat's birthday party! I must get him a present, and said I'd bake a cake. I'll make chocolate with mocha icing, but am low on cocoa and confectioner's sugar, so will have to run out to the store after I get his breakfast. Yoicks, everything comes at once.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...