Friday, February 08, 2008

Got the news today that Aunt Claire has died. I had made arrangements to go up to see her a last time today, and I'm still going to go. Will see cousins Tom and John while I'm there.
In my other life in Ewing (my "middle" life when we lived on Lower Ferry Road and I worked at Rider), I visited Uncle Frank, Aunt Claire, and Judy fairly often. After Judy died and Uncle F. and Aunt C. moved to Ambler, I saw them every few months. Uncle Frank died a few years ago, and now Aunt Claire. She was the last of our throngs of aunts and uncles on both the Byrne and Figenshu sides and her passing has turned me melancholy and reflective. Can it really be true that a day will come when I'm no longer in the world? I've always warred against this idea and I have great difficulty in accepting it. Guess that's human nature or else I'm even more of an egomaniac than I thought.
Okay, let's get out of this philosophizing and back into my so-called life. Had a web cam call from the Singapore contingent and loved seeing precious Vivian. However, there's something wrong with Skype (Alison's Mike will look into it) and we had to switch to the phone. I recited the greeting in Japanese for DIL Paula, who sent it to me phonically so I can welcome new Tokyo DIL in August. P. corrected some of my pronunciations amid great guffaws from Mike.
Pat finished the radiation yesterday--yay!--however, when we went back out to the car, the battery was dead. (I had left the lights on, that's why.) Sat there for about 20 minutes before somebody from Security came and jumped us.
Uh, let me rephrase that...

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Geez Rosemary,
Aunt dies....end of the extended family of aunts and uncles...dead battery....introspection about one's own death....no wonder you feel melancholy. I think your reaction is quite normal. I think a good cry would have been in order when you discovered that battery.
I am sorry you lost your Aunt and it is a time of reflection. You lose part of yourself....i.e. part of your history when someone dies. Glad you are still going to Ambler...connecting to those cousins will help.

Now on to some happier notes. I am getting excited about your 50th Anniverary party...even tho I will be at another famiy reunion and won't get to meet your family.
Listening to the Jukebox website you sent me made me think of this.
Could you get some music which will play tunes from when you met Pat and then thru the years. How about your favorite song from when you fell in love? Then there will have to be loop of photos also 'thru the years'. Oh, this is your party....I was thinking it was mine. Anyhow, it'll be great fun planning your big event.

And yes one day you will be physically gone, but Rosemary Byrne Molloy will live on thru her children and their children and their children and all the lives you've touched...including mine.

Mimi said...

Pat, what lovely sentiments! Like your ideas and will see about implementing. For Pat's 75 birthday party, Alison made a wonderful DVD with music that her husband projected onto a big screen for the party. It was great. I do hope to have much-enlarged pictures of our wedding party. Sadly, two of my three attendents, plus Pat's BIL, who was an usher, have died, but we hope to have the others at the party.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...