Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I keep forgetting this is supposed to be a food and weight blog, although it's morphed into something else (what?) Okay, we had pork roll sandwiches for dinner last night and my weight is out of control. Those are both dismal reports, so on to the next subject:
Went to Pat's primary at Fort Dix yesterday. He didn't have much to offer; he seemed relieved when we told him we have an appointment with the pulmonologist today. I hope the pulmonologist has something to suggest to make the effects of the disease easier.
Incidentally--or, in our case, vitally--Pat is covered under the V.A. so-called health system, as he has been for years, but he now also has what they call "community providers." That means he can go to doctors unconnected with the V.A., but to receive his medications at minimal cost, he must have the V.A. docs oversee everything. This became a possibility since we picked up AARP supplemental a few months ago. For a cost of $2160 a year, it covers the hospital, doctor, and rehab costs Medicare doesn't. Considering the $2200 I pay for my insurance, plus what we pay for Medicare B, plus the cost of driving to Philly and Fort Dix, plus what the V.A. does charge for the meds, plus incidentals, I figure we spend roughly $8000 a year on health needs. Is this more than most, less, or average? I have no idea. I know a lot of people in our community are covered by health plans from their former jobs who pay NOTHING for the insurance and owe NOTHING for doctors, hospitals, and prescriptions they need. However, I also know there are plenty of people who must pay a very large proportion of their income for medical care--or who simply don't get medical care. I spend an incredible amount of time making phone calls, writing, and arguing with the various agencies and organizations involved in Pat's care. Can't imagine what people do who don't have as much time.
Oh, the hell with it, let's get back to food. In my defense for serving the pork roll last night, I cooked chicken, baked potatoes, and peas the night before and usually have reasonably healthy (and more elaborate) dinners. Tonight, I gotta look in the freezer to see what we have or--more likely--I'll pick up some good fish, flounder for Pat, salmon for me. Can't get healthier than that, now can you?
Later: The visiting nurse was just here. She gave us a sheet on what Pat should eat as a diabetic. It's funny, downright funny, since there's a lot listed he won't even consider. The things he will eat lists portions are about one-eighth his usual serving. I just try to hold the line reasonably well--for both of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation, mom, in your pictures from London you looked really good to me. Your weight didn't look "out of control" at all.

Mimi said...

Oh, thank you, sweetie. I guess there's some protection in being on the move all the time, even when I ignore the calorie counts...

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...