Saturday, June 17, 2006

Well, I'm back from England and it was wonderful! In London, son Mike got me a nice apartment just under his and his family's, a half-block from Harrod's and not far from all the great attractions. Went to Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Dickens' house, the Globe theatre, and lots of the other obligatory tourist locations. On Saturday, greatly enjoyed going to Paula's boarding school (the purpose of the trip was her reunion), about 30 miles from London, a lovely place with some old buildings (I'm talking the 1000's), and some tasteful new. We then enjoyed a ride down the Thames--there, in Eckham, Surrey, near Paula's alma mater, it's just a little, slow-moving stream--in a flat-bottomed boat. (Took a Thames sight-seeing boat in London, too, where the river is much wider and more robust--and dirtier.) Later on Saturday, we toured nearby Windsor Castle, then I went back to London and Mike and Paula went to the dinner dance at the school.
One day, Mike, Vickie (the Nanny) and I went to Hampton Court while Paula cared for almost-two-year-old Vivian--that was one of my favorite places. It's just incredible--1800 rooms and there are still a few "grace and favour" residents there.
After the city, we went to the Four Seasons in Hampshire, a fabulous place set in rolling hills in the countryside and with every possible amenity. Stonehenge is less than an hour away, and we went there, too--very strange and impressive.
The weather was great: sunny and very warm most days, with just one of clouds and showers.
The food? Most of it was very good. Starbucks is right down the street from the apartments and we got coffee there every morning. It seemed odd that they put out only milk--skim and regular--rather than cream, but I understand the English don't usually use it in their coffee. I also had to ask for it in a restaurant we went to. The coffee was okay, but I thought it was a little more bitter than American-style. We had fish and chips (French fries to us) twice and enjoyed them; you have to ask for catsup for the chips; the Brits put vinegar on them.
The food at the Four Seasons was superb. I had duck for dinner when M., P., and I went to their excellent restaurant; Vickie and Vivian getting room service. Breakfast the next morning was also great, as was lunch at the smaller restaurant on the premises.
The biggest shocker in England, though, is (are?) the prices. It's expensive in London beyond belief and as for the Four Seasons--well, I had a glass--not a bottle, mind you--of chardonnay that I later found cost 10 pounds--that's $18.48! As Mike paid for my whole trip, though, I drank up happily (ha!).
Got back all right, although when I got to where I was supposed to get the Airporter at Newark (it goes to the Hyatt and Alison was to pick me up at 8:45), I was told it was cancelled, as they couldn't get a driver! Grrr--finally got the next one, Alison picked me up and I fell into bed at her house, exhausted, but thrilled to have gone to the U.K.
Found Pat about the same, with little stamina or ability to do much. Waited until Alison and Mike got home from work yesterday, then we packed up and went home. It was a glorious week and the BEST part was seeing adorable granddaughter, Vivian, a precious child who is very quiet, sedate, and self-effacing--not! She really is darling, so smart and so pretty. However, she has a mind of her--well, the mind of a little fiend, at times, but she's so cute and funny, you have to laugh at her. Of course, it helps a whole lot when she acts out to simply tell the nanny to take her somewhere else. Yes, I recall--and I'm sure my sister, Betty, recalls--when we were caring for our children (we each had 4), we just passed them off to the nanny when we had had enough.
Anyway, only two regrets and they couldn't be helped: I would have loved to be in Jacksonville at brother Larry's big 50th anniversary party on the 10th and in upstate New York today at my great-nephew's wedding, but neither were possible. I'm glad Alison and Mike were able to go to the wedding, anyway.
When we got home about 8 last night, friend Ray helped Pat into the house, then he and Barb invited me to come over for cake and bring Pat a piece, too, which I did.
Travel is wonderful and I hope to enjoy more of it, but yes, Dorothy, yes, there's no place like home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is "VICKY"

Mimi said...

Aagh-g-g!! WHY, oh WHY, can't I ever get that right---WHY, WHY, WHY?
See, that's what's called a "neumonic device," i.e., a memory aid. I hope that next time I try to spell your nanny's name, I will think "WHY," and know it has a "Y" on the end.
Love to you, Paula, Preshy, and Vickie...

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...