Sunday, May 21, 2006

I think other attendees would agree that our residents surpassed themselves with the food at the International Dinner last night! It would be impossible to list everything, but the buffet included ham, meatballs, shrimp, pork, and chicken dishes, all homemade and combined with sauces and other embellishments. There were pasta dishes, 3 or 4 salads, several green vegetable dishes, stewed tomatoes with dumplings, and bread and rolls. The variety of appetizers included fancy olives and pimento in oil, little bites made with yummy items such as mozzarella cheese and prosciutto ham (we have lots of Italians in the community), and a corn relish. As for the desserts--oh! Cakes, pies, and puddings were offered, plus my fruit compote and some other fruit dishes. My choices (wish I could have picked them all) were a slice of sublime lemon cake, and a piece of pistachio cake that was green, so would be fun for St. Patrick's Day.
Ray and Barbara picked me up and we sat with Dennis and Leslie and Sunrise Bay newcomers Dolores and her husband. I forgot to bring anything to drink, so had a glass of wine and two beers that Ray had thoughtfully brought in a cooler.
The dinner lasted from 4 to (probably) about 7:30, but I left at 7 to bring Pat the platter I had made for him. This consisted of chicken drumsticks, ham, meatballs (well, he won't eat salad or veggies), all of which he devoured (we usually eat at 6) along with the bit of my fruit compote that was left over. He loved it all and topped it off with the slices of luscious cheesecake and delectable nut cake I also brought him.
Anyway, the dinner was wonderful and best of all was not the food, great as that was, but as ever, the company. Everybody asked after Pat and it seemed strange to be out at an affair without him, but he's doing pretty well. Yesterday, I was on the phone with California daughter Ellen and he went in and made his own lunch. That may seem like a small thing, but it's a big step up for him. True, it's one step, but one step at a time gets you to where you want to be...
Will hang out today and maybe get a few errands run--always depending on how Pat's doing, of course--and am looking forward to meeting friend Vivian for dinner in Manahawkin tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, your daughter Ellen called, now itsn't that special...

Mimi said...

It definitely is special, jealous little brother--all my children are special.

Anonymous said...

I think sisters are special.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...