Monday, October 27, 2014

Veggies and a Viewing

Betty is involved in the blood drive at Holy Trinity (formerly known as St. James and that's what it will always be to me) and had given me a flyer about it.  I went to St. Theresa's to ask if it could be displayed and left it.  Went to drive off and...
...uh-oh; my car stalled yet again.  I drove directly to Pat's Automotive and--to cut the "this can't be good" news short--he doesn't like the tapping in the engine and I'm going to take it in on Wednesday.
Spent several hours on veggies, to wit:  Sliced the lovely carrots, added apple wedges and cinnamon and put it all in the slow cooker. Peeled and cut up garlic and onions, added julienned sweet peppers, washed and deveined the Swiss chard, added that and stir-fried all together.  Made a salad with the beautiful, bright green lettuce (not iceberg, you can be sure about that), added tomatoes, feta, and hard-boiled egg slices.  Whew!  I still have beets and breaded eggplant, which I had prepared a few days ago; will be eating all this today and tomorrow.
I thought I had plenty of time to jump in the shower and dress for Spanky's viewing because Leslie had written it was at 1:00 and the service at 3:00.  At 12:30, I idly looked on the funeral parlour's site and found it was actually 11:00, then 1:00.  Changed in about ten minutes and rushed over to Maxwell's.
Sunrise Bay neighbors were there, although not as many as there were for people more active and who had lived there longer. Hugged Rosie, the new widow, chatted with a few people, but I felt oddly removed and, in fact, sad and lonely, but also irritated, for some reason.  Maybe that was prompted by the minister, no orator, who interspersed childish Bible verses with the old "he fought the good fight, but now he's lolling in Heaven" pap.  A few people got up to reminisce about Spanky, then attendees were supposed to file up and bid farewell to the corpse.  I skipped that, though, and left.
Saw Frank and Barbara and asked Frank if he'd follow me to Pat's Automotive on Wednesday and take me home.
As for The Shadow, I have a real dilemma.  George S. has a major part (in fact, two parts) in it, but was unable to come to rehearsals because he was in Sound of Music at Surflight.  Now that's over and I assume he's free.  I want him to rehearse just once before we all meet on the fifth, so I asked him, Aline, and Bob to come to my place tonight.
So far, I've sent George four e-mails, called him twice, called and e-mailed his wife, Julie, and have gotten no response whatever. Now I'm at a loss.  Does he want to be in the show or not?  Think I'll try one last time, then assume he's dropped the idea--which means I have to find another man at this late date, and that's not going to be easy.
Brightest spot of the day was a phone call with Ellen.  Now I'm chompin' at the bit to get out there and start my new life!

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...