Saturday, October 18, 2014

Playlets and Produce

I've decided that for my next acting class, I'll have little playlets performed two-by-two by my students.  Selections will be random, of course.  I'll ask them to read, then I'll critique privately and have them do the same again in the next class, the idea being there should be some improvements.
I'll need five very short plays with two female characters.  I already wrote one and will revise slightly The Truth, The Embellished Truth, and Nothing Like the Truth, which I wrote several years ago. (It was performed by our Sunrise Bay drama club.)
I'm going to use the Mrs. Soames' role in Our Town, which I played myself, but I'll have to re-write Thornton Wilder a bit.* Must think about this.  I'll probably write the other two myself, as I want to have at least one other comedy; I have a few ideas floating in around my head.
Spent a fair amount of time cutting up lettuce for salad and preparing Swiss chard.  Fried up some bacon and cooked the chard in the grease--yummy good, if I say it myself.
I seem to be driving to Manahawkin every day lately, and did yesterday.  Took something back and not much else.
My friend came about 4:00 and hooked up my phone.  Can't use it yet--directions say eleven hours--but it's in, anyway.  Friend brought me my portion of farm goodies, including an enormous amount of different kinds of lettuce.  I'll give some away, as I can't possibly eat it all myself.  I was glad to get the tomatoes, string beans, squash, beets, and eggplant, though.
NOTE: Oh, great!  I just tried the new phone and get no dial tone. Now what?  I haven't programmed it yet, so maybe you have to do that before it's operational, but who knows?  I HATE ELECTRONICS!
* I was never a fan of Our Town--like Sound of Music, which I'm going to see tonight, I find it saccharine and insipid.  However, it's one of the  most famous--and revered, Zeus knows why--plays ever, so I guess it's a bit presumptuous of me to modify it, but I care not.    

3 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Just a useless suggestion, Mimi, about the phone: you can buy a plain-vanilla, plug-it-into-the-wall-jack type phone for very little at any discount place. Even if you don't intend to use it most of the time, it's a good thing to have around for when your more-sophisticated wireless phone is doing mysterious things. If you plug your very basic phone into the wall jack and get a dial tone, at least you know that the problem isn't your house phone wiring, serial killers cutting the wires, etc. Also, you'll be "on the air" until you figure out how to make your real phones happy.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Jim, but--I got the phone to work. Yes, I do have this electronic genius thing going, you know. After I managed to program in the date and time, it worked; I guess that had to be done first (but they don't bother to tell you that). Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion; I'll remember it if there's a next time.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Jim, but--I got the phone to work. Yes, I do have this electronic genius thing going, you know. After I managed to program in the date and time, it worked; I guess that had to be done first (but they don't bother to tell you that). Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion; I'll remember it if there's a next time.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...