Thursday, March 09, 2023

Wednesday With Books

Heard back from tenant Susan and worked up a month-to-month lease. Sent it to son, Mike, to see if he thinks it's okay, and he does. I'll have Susan and Cliff initial, then I'll send to management and hope it's acceptable. Wrote out my St. Pat's day cards and sent off the ones to Singapore and Tokyo. 

I texted my granddaughter Vivian, at U. of Hi, asking her impressions of India (Mike and family went there for a weeks after Christmas) and she wrote back with a good, clear, few paragraphs. Mentioned the great disparity between upper and lower classes ("there is no middle class") and that people wanted to take pictures of her and her sister, as they hadn't seen girls with such fair skin. That's so depressing--the suggestion that Caucasian complexions are more desirable than darker ones. What's ironic is that V. and V. are a quarter Japanese. Anyway, I loved hearing from her. 

Finally finished and took back the 780-page bio of Ted Kennedy, which I found a real snooze-fest. It mostly chronicles the decades-old ins and outs of getting bills passed--or not--in congress during an era that seems as dead as the Kennedys themselves. Walked to the Hill Street branch of the library to return it and, still on a Kennedy kick, took out this one, by the G-man* who was with Jackie in Dallas:  

I had packed my lunch, meaning to eat it on the pleasant patio at the library. However, the wind was so chilly, I changed my mind and walked home to have it. 

I sent to Amazon for another book. Published in 2004 by political scientist Michael Parenti,* it shows the collaboration between government and mass media to maneuver the public into accepting the pain and carnage inflicted on others by our wars. 


Made one of my turkey stir-fries for dinner. I like to prepare the ingredients and freeze as much as possible beforehand, so I got out the ground turkey, chopped onions and peppers, and roasted tomatoes, stir-fried, added garlic, turmeric, and herbes de provence to finish. Boy, it was good and I have two more portions left.  



* Hill is 87, Parenti 89; add yours truly and I guess it adds up to a little intellectual gathering for octogenarians. 😄

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...