Saturday, November 03, 2018

T.O.P.S. And A Talk

I had a fairly interesting experience yesterday afternoon--interesting and somewhat weird.
Did the uphill walk, changed, then waited out front for Cheryl to pick me up for T.O.P.S.  I was pleased to weigh in at 128.3, staying within my desired range. The meeting was actually pretty good; at least, there wasn't as much extraneous talk.
Had breakfast at 10:00, then walked over to Von's for chicken and oranges. Requested the Access van to pick me up today to go to the the caregivers program in Oxnard. Called brother Larry in Florida and we had a long talk. I learned brother Frank will go to the Christmas gathering there and I'm actually flirting with the idea of going. By the time I did a few little household chores, it was lunchtime, after which I left for town.
Walked The Promenade--yesterday, the ocean was as serene and placid as its name suggests--then walked up to Main and the library. I happened to see a typed-up notice on the door of the program room that there was a speech on "respect" going on. Oh, hell, I thought, I'll slip in the back and check it out--don't want to disturb the audience.
Except there was no audience. The room was set up with fifty or so chairs and I was the only person to occupy one. There was a man of about 60 at the podium orating away and a much older man in the back operating video and sound equipment. Weird? Yes. Incredibly, yet, I sat there and listened for a full hour.  I didn't really have anything else to do and I kept thinking he'd say something intelligent, but it was not to be.  His theme? How the democrats and liberals and women and blacks and gays--yeah, I got the picture--are maligning Trump unfairly, etc. He referred to past presidents, also, admiringly for the repubs and disparagingly for the dems.  He even trotted out the old charge of Obama being a Muslim and I wasn't the least bit surprised when he equated military worship with "patriotism."
I'm not sure why I sat there so long; just too lazy to get up, I guess, and I actually felt sorry for him. I didn't want to hurt his feelings by leaving--after all, he was speaking solely to me. Oddly, he never looked at me, but into the back of the room where the camera was running.
Anyway, I talked to him after, but didn't lambaste him. For one thing, I agree that dem politicians are the scum of the earth; of course, so are repubs. Plus, I wouldn't even know where to start. I did mention I've been Vietnam, since he had referred to our invasion there--approvingly, of course, with great disdain for anti-war activists. Anyway, his name is Jack Remington and he gave me his phone number and e-mail. Gawd, does he think we'll settle into an intellectual relationship or something?

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...