Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Rider

What a neat day!
I was dropped off at the Rider library (front  of the campus) about 10:30. Stopped in there to see if I still knew anybody, but I didn't. Went downstairs to HR and no sooner walked in, than Lucia, the secretary, saw me and immediately said, "Rosemary!"
Now, I hadn't seen her for at least five years and I was down 52 pounds since then, so I was floored. Lucia J. had been a student helper before she graduated and had stayed on. Right away, Sue S. came out and we just fell on each other. She took me in to Linda K.'s office, then Mona came in, and we all hugged and laughed and talked and talked. Mona's two sons have both graduated from college, Linda has two grandchildren and one on the way, courtesy of her son, who also works at Rider, and Sue also has grandchildren. Wow!
Anyway, we visited for a time, then I moved on. I was sorry to hear Kathy B., whom I had known well, had died shortly after retiring. Several others of my old colleagues did, too--died or retired or both. I found that Anna R., director of Disbursements in my time, had retired some time ago. So had Julie K., the v.p. for Financial Affairs and Elaine R., who was in public relations.
I stopped into Jim C.'s office. He's  an attorney among other things, who told me he was moving to L.A., where his daughter lives, to turn his full attention to writing (law subjects). We had a long talk and I mentioned my nephew, a writer whose specialty is horror.  He was very interested, as his daughter and son-in-law are involved in horror and scripts. Later, Jim sent me contact information on the daughter, which I forwarded to Steve.
Next, I went to the Fine Arts Building to see my former secretary, Terry M. During the time and after she was in my office, she got her bachelor's, then her master's, and she's now a counselor in Liberal Arts. We had a great time filling each other in on our lives since we saw each other last.
I stopped in a few other offices ("died," "retired") then we walked around campus a bit before driving to Ewing to take a look at my old house. We had lived there 41 years and I had two of my four children there. It looks pretty good--it's now a group home--and I took a picture, but we didn't linger.
Back to Jackson amid horrid traffic (geez, D.C. was bad enough), then to Bordentown. My ex-daughter-in-law was there and I was stunned when she mentioned she was pregnant with my older great-grandson then--good grief, he's now sixteen! No wonder not everybody at Rider was present and accounted for, but I was happy to see those who were.
Today: Sunrise Bay. I called Marge, whom I'll see about 1:30; Aline, who, unfortunately, has tickets for the Met in Manhattan for today, but we had a nice chat; Susan (I left a message); and Barb and Ray H., whom I'll see before or after Marge.
What a day and I slept, as ever, well.

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...