Sunday, November 04, 2018

Alzheimer's Program

When I went out to get the paper about 7:00, Suzanne was on our mutual front walk, watering her spider plant. We gabbed about this and that for a good twenty minutes. I told her I was going to the Alzheimer Caregivers program; she was going back to St. John's to see how her--well, her sister sister--was doing.
Cut my walk short, then had breakfast, showered, and dressed. I was out front by 10:54 and the Access van came shortly after. I was pleased to see the driver was Anthony, who drove me during my first trip. Got to Oxnard and Family Circle before 11:00.
I came in about the middle of the second talk (about meditation, which I found interesting), then listened to the owner of a home health care service. After that, we were treated to a box lunch and in the lunchroom, I ran into Margaret A., who is a nutritionist. She worked at SCAN when I had my acting group there and we were thrilled to see each other. She oohed and aahed over how I looked, which puzzled me until I realized the last time she saw me, I was 52 pounds heavier.
The other speakers were also good, especially a pharmacist, who talked about medications for dementia. Unfortunately, there isn't very good news on that front, as none are known to do much more than possibly slow the progress of the disease for a time for some people and the success of the treatment is temporary. In addition, many suffer unpleasant side effects, including nightmares and hallucinations. Dismal news, but at least a lot more research is being done.
The program was over at 2:00, but incredibly, I didn't get home until almost 5:00. Driving, the trip from Oxnard would take roughly twenty minutes, but I had various buses to take, plus I looked around in a few, and so on.
Stopped in Von's before I went home for grapes and frozen fruit. Suzanne had her door open and came  out to ask me about the seminar. I told her how good it was and we talked on our doorsteps for a half hour.
So-o-o, I didn't get the afternoon walk in, but no prob if I miss now and then. 

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...