Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Lake

We put on our suits, packed a picnic lunch, and were down at the lake by a bit after noon. I was happy to use my Mother's Day gift of a season pass; Ellen had to pay five bucks--ha!  My friend and the two boys were already there and friend's daughter-in-law, Lisa, with ten-year-old, Lucas in tow, came shortly after.
What a lovely day.  Ate lunch, then went in the lake.  Weather was a bit too cool-breezy to be ideal, but if we stayed submerged, it was perfectly okay.
Enjoyed good talk and Ellen and I were invited to go to a Trenton Thunder game tonight; I think it's some kind of promotional thing. Thought we might, but on the way home, realized neither of us are anxious to go, so we'll decline.  We talked about going into Manhattan on Sunday and that could happen.
El and I had thought we might go to the pool when we got back--we were already in suits--but by that time, it was after 6:00 and we scratched the idea.  Stopped at Acme for a "green" spray cleaner--I don't give a damn, but daughter says Fantastick and the like are poison--plus sweet potatoes and one or two other items.
As soon as we got home, I turned on the oven, whisked the seasoned chicken thighs I had prepared earlier into it, then added the scrubbed potatoes, and stir-fried onions and Swiss chard from the farm.  El cooked the string beans we had picked on Thursday, and that was our meal--very tasty, if I say it myself.
Went down to Gravelling Point after (by this time, it was 8:00 pm) to see the water up higher than I've ever seen before.  Must bring Aline here at high tide, too.  However, we left after just a few minutes, as the biting green heads were out in force; I haven't experienced the damn things that bad since my girlhood on Absecon Island.
Topped off the day at The Pine Cone, where we treated ourselves to ice cream.  Home, I went to bed while Ellen--she's a stay-up-later--tackled my kitchen cabinets with the new cleaner.  When I got up just now, they almost hurt my eyes, they were so sparkling clean!        

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...