Friday, July 18, 2014

Letters

My side/upper right still aches and it's starting to concern me.  Took two aspirin when I got up.
Yesterday, I finally finished going through and categorizing the two hundred or so old letters to Pat, plus other decades-old paper.  I had to throw away a lot of brochures, leaflets, and other items, as they had gotten damp and were starting to disintegrate, but luckily, all but two letters are still readable.
I have a bundle, 21 letters and a postcard, from a girl--now in her eighties--with the charming name of "Carole Liberty."  Judging by the letters, she worked at the Boca Raton Club in Florida, when Pat did, but lived in Lynn, Mass.  They seem not to have had a romance, but were evidently just friends.
On impulse, I put her name in White Pages and what came up was a listing in Florida: "Carole Liberty Barefoot," aka "Bone."  Intrigued--is she native American or an aging hippie?--I called the number listed and darned if Carole herself didn't answer the phone.
She sounded anything but a timid old lady.  In a strong and brisk voice, she asked who I was, I identified myself, and said I'd like to send her the letters she wrote almost sixty years ago.  She agreed and I said I'd like to hear back from her; hearing she uses e-mail, I said I'd send my address.  I'd like to know more about her relationship with Pat.
I already know about his with a girl named Judy Letwin, which was, indeed, more than a friendship.  From her letters, I learned she was in nurses' training at Hahnmenn Hospital in Philadelphia. Pat had told me about her before, so I know they dated in the fifties.  I had no luck with finding her; unless a woman uses her maiden name after marriage, it's much more problematic than it is with a man.  If I'm not mistaken, Judy Letwin graduated from Holy Spirit, probably class of 1950 and, wouldn't you know it, that's the yearbook I can't seem to find.
Speaking of men, I got a charge out of the dozens of letters from Pat's pals.  I know many of them because of the Ventnor background, where we were both born and brought up.
I also found letters to me from my twin sister, Betty's, old boyfriend, Jimmy Downs.  I might share them with Betty after I re-read them.
Aside from that, I drove up to my friend's and we went to the farm. Got squash, tomatoes, garlic, kale, and other veggies, plus picked marigolds and zinnias.  Was asked to dinner, but declined and drove home.  

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...