Friday, July 11, 2014

Ellen And Our Activities

I was out of town over Tuesday night, and this is just a quick synopsis of activities during the past two days:
Wednesday: Left for my friend's house about 10, but when I was almost there, got a call to the effect that daughter Ellen had missed her plane (she was scheduled to arrive Tuesday night).  She had to stay in Philly overnight, and friend was going to pick her up.
Hmm...that meant I had several hours to hang out, so decided to look up old friend, Rosalie P., in nearby Windsor.  Hadn't heard from her in ten years until last month when she called me and we reestablished our friendship.  I knocked on her door and she was home. Sat in her garden for a half hour with iced tea, and talked. Rosalie is one of my more eccentric friends and I have a slew of them.  Left and picked up a few things at various stores, drove back to friend's, raided the fridge to make a sandwich, and in less than a half hour, there she was:
ELLEN!  We happily fell into each other's arms and we three gals had a fine time the rest of the day.  El was shown the big, beautiful RV, loved it, of course, and we spent time in there, too.  The girls then made dinner, while I sat and read and even laid down on the couch.  What a pleasure.
Friend's husband got home, we had dinner, cleaned up, then we three went to Spring Lake and took a two-mile or so walk on the boardwalk.  It was fine and later, we were able to see my nephew, Tim, on House Hunters, being showed three century-old house in Brattleboro, Vt., where he has a video business.  What fun to see my late sister's son on nationally syndicated television!  We loved it. (The show had actually run on Tuesday, the eighth, but we missed it.  Thanks to modern electronics, it was recorded and we saw it a day later.) Went to bed--Ellen in guest room, I comfortably on the couch.
Thursday (yesterday): Friend and hubby had to work, but El and I had a leisurely breakfast, then took off for our old stompin' grounds in Ewing.  Visited the old house on Lower Ferry, now a group home for Downs Syndrome men, took pictures, then saw former neighbor Edward outside.  He and Cindy live across the street from where we did for 41 years.  (Their daughter, Jen, is the ex of my grandson and mother of my precious great-grandsons.)  Happily, the boys were there, too, and we went in to say hello to them and Cindy. If all goes well, we'll see them today at the lake.
Stopped at the cemetery, then went to Metro, a rather nice restaurant I remembered from years ago, and Ellen treated me to lunch--very tasty.  After that, we headed to Honeybrook Organic Farm outside the lovely little town of Chesterfield.  Found it without too much problem and gathered up the kale, tomatoes, blueberries, cucumbers in the barn, then went out to the fields for chives, lemon balm, and string beans. Dropped her portion off at friend's house, stopped at Acme for lettuce, El made salad and ordered pizza for dinner, spent a pleasant evening, turned in early, and that was our full and satisfying day.
Note: At 6:15 or so, a half hour ago, got a Skype call from adorable little K., who's growing by leaps and bounds at ten months old.  Too bad Ellen is still asleep, but K.'s Daddy said they'd call back on Monday evening about 6:00.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...