Thursday, July 24, 2014

Judy and Jimmy

About 10:30 am, I finally worked up the courage to call Judith L. K., my-late-husband's-high-school-girlfriend.  A man answered somewhat gruffly, asked who I was, then handed the phone to her.
Of course, she's no longer the sweet-faced girl, just entering the R.N. program at Hahnemann Hospital in Philly whom I felt I was getting to know after reading her letters.  She's an 81-year-old woman and she sounds it; no trace of a British accent, which surprised me slightly, as she told me she and her mother had emigrated here just before she entered HSHS.
Anyway, she was very cordial after I told her why I was calling and we had a nice chat.  She has a daughter, who's a psychologist and a son who's a lawyer, and grandchildren.  She identified the "Nora" as Nora McG., with whom she graduated high school and roomed with at Hahnemann.  They're still in touch.
We talked for maybe ten minutes, if that.  Then I tied the letters with ribbon, added an explanatory letter and some pictures of Pat, wrapped and taped, then took it to the P.O.
Judy said she doesn't use a computer--darn--but asked for my address and phone number.  I hope she'll call after she reads the letters.
Another figure from the past: As I mentioned in an earlier post, among Pat's letters were a number to me from Jimmy D., sister Betty's former.  After I read them, I impulsively looked on Facebook and found he had a page.  Sent him a private message, he responded, and now we're in touch again--what fun!
After our walk, I didn't set foot outside the house all day; I was determined to clear my plate, so to speak, of those old letters.  To that end, I put them in order of correspondent, then made piles for the year, and finally, in ascending chronological order.  Very satisfying.
Had a lousy night last night, though: was up several times with a stomach ache. Not sure if this is connected with my side/back ache; hope not.  Left a note on the door for Susan to the effect I wouldn't walk and went back to bed for a half hour.  Damn, this is a busy day, too: picking at the farm, a hairdresser appointment, and our first rehearsal for Tony and the Heiress.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I think it's great you have found those letters and are enjoying them. You are quite the investigative reporter...finding and then contacting Judy.
I found lots of Rich's letters..mostly to his Mother and then some from his first wife to his Mother. I loved reading them. I felt like I was getting to know and like his first wife. I gave them to his daughter. The daughter has the letters from her Dad to her Mom. Her mom had kept them. Letter writing is so precious.
Isn't what you are doing called 'content analysis' in research? I seem to remember that term. So much can be reconstructed from letters.
I look forward to hearing if Judy writes back once she has read the letters she wrote so long ago.
Is Betty in contact with her old beau too?

Mimi said...

No, Pat, Betty isn't in contact with Jimmy, although he saw her in Santa Barbara about ten years ago. You're right about building a history and an understanding with letter-writers. I think the letters to Pat also paint a stark sociological picture: Aside from his parents and sisters, all the writers had joined the military directly after high school. There was a draft on and, to avoid the infantry, I guess, they chose to get it over with in a branch of their own choosing.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...