Saturday, November 18, 2023

Friday

Weight: The insignificant changes continue: Yesterday, I showed a loss of .04 (to 127.2) at home and a magnificent .01 (to 128.3) at T.O.P.S. Okay, I can live with that. Lennie showed us her book, self-published--and we discussed it for a bit. I gave Sharon Suzanne's thank-you note and also told the group how wonderfully the shoes had gone over at Catholic Charities. No meeting the day after Thanksgiving, so it'll be two weeks before we're (officially) weighed in again. 

Didn't finish breakfast until 10:30 and was assembling some diet papers for Noreen when Diane texted to say her mediation session at The Townehouse was cancelled because they had thirty cases of COVID-- disconcerting, to say the least. I had planned to go to The Market and Wal-Mart, but immediately jettisoned that and asked if she could get to the Hill Street Cafe for lunch. It was already almost noon, but she could and she did. It takes me about twenty minutes to walk there over the footbridge, but we got there at the same time.    

We sat on the patio, Diane with a tuna melt (extra onions) and a Chardonnay, me with grilled cheese and a beer, and had a fine time. Talked and talked, of course, but in addition, an interesting happening took place on the library patio. Notice the setup: The patios of the library (a branch, not the main one) and the restaurant adjoin and on it were the four people behind Diane:

I cropped the scene, so it's a little fuzzy, but here's a closer view of the four:
This is what I gathered from witnessing the odd occurrence: The man in the chair was pretty clearly mentally handicapped since later, he began babbling incoherently. I have the idea the woman holding his head is his sister and the other woman behind him, his mother. The woman in front is holding a kind a lighted wand--maybe a small flashlight--which she was waving in front of his face in what seemed to be an intricate pattern. She did this for at least ten minutes, if not longer. Also, you can barely see it, but there's a kind of flat, spongy, yellowish object on his head. After the ceremony--or exorcism, or whatever it was--was over, it was removed. I was so intrigued by this that I think I'll stop into the library when I have a chance to ask if they had any idea what was happening. My best guess is that it was some kind of bizarre quasi-medical "treatment" for his condition. Incidentally, I've taken my lunch several times and eaten on the library patio while reading a book I selected there--very pleasant. 

Diane and I said goodbye about 3:30 and she took a bus home, while I bussed in the opposite direction to my Grapefruit Heaven, Target, at the mall. Home at 5:00 and I whipped up a good turnkey stir-fry for dinner. Finished putting together the diet info I'll give Noreen at lunch today.  

Additional note about the entry before this: It was published on the seventeenth and, of course, chronicles Thursday, the sixteenth, not the...oh, SKIP IT!!  

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...