Sunday, November 16, 2008

Donna came in the late afternoon and we had a wonderful visit. She brought a box of incredibly delicious chocolate-covered pretzels of various kinds. Will bring two over to Susan when we walk.
Mike called on the web cam and I saw the adorable little girls. Vivian showed me various objects, then started what I think children have loved since cavemen grunted: echoing what her daddy said. He, of course, pretended to be annoyed, then starting saying, "I don't want anything for Christmas" and "I deserve a spanking," which she repeated, giggling.
I delighted in this: my precious granddaughter playing the same joke my son did, and I did, and my mother did, and her mother, on and on. Guess it's one of those "we're human together" things.
I wonder if the children in Iraq play that little game. Oh, no, I'm sure not. Otherwise, how could we murder them?
Current The New Yorker came. This edition is devoted to the election and oh, how I wish I could join in the Obama rejoicing! I keep trying to push out of my mind what I'm afraid will mark his regime: more of the same in foreign policy, only better disguised--endless war. And we fall for it, over and over again.
A quote from that ever-quotable celeb, Herman Goering:
"Naturally the common people don't want war...But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship...the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." (Emphasis added.)
And what happens to "humanity in common" then?



No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...