Saturday, November 08, 2008

Finished the reference letter for Leslie, brought it down the street to her, and spent a nice half-hour chatting. She told me about a Mennonite-inspired movement for a "peace tax fund," founded during the Vietnam war. The idea is that people could specify that their federal taxes not be used for the military. Groups are still active in this movement and I looked into several web sites explaining it.
I was astounded to find that--guess what?--a huge percentage of your taxes go to murder children. (Yes, I'm going to keep repeating that phrase.) If, say, y0u pay $5000 in federal taxes, $2100 goes for past and current military expenses. What's left funds all other social needs-- for education, the infrastructure, health care, and so on and on!
Here's a web site that puts our monstrous war budget in perspective, using Oreo cookies, of all things:
http://www.truemajorityaction.org/oreos/
Later: Went to Weight Watchers. From now on, will use code for my weight saga: +1.4--dn.72.4--w.127.2.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I signed up.

cemmcs

Mimi said...

Great, Anon! But who are you?

Anonymous said...

I don't have a "profile" but I can tell you a little. I use the handle, cemmcs. I live in Chicago. I voted for Nader. I am antiwar. I have been to California, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Japan but not recently. I saw your comment at distantocean.com and followed you here.

cemmcs

Mimi said...

Thank you, cemmcs. I've seen some of your comments on various blogs and have noticed that they're strong, well-written, and to the point. Wonder how many there are of us out there?

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...