Thursday, April 07, 2022

Wednesday

Julie picked me up at 9:30, along with her friend, Sharon, and we went to the Neighbors and Newcomers meeting at The Comedy Club on Ventura harbor. I hadn't been terribly enthusiastic about going, as last month's program (global warming and we should all get electric cars) had been a bore. 

This speaker, though, was dynamite. She was "Chef Amy" and had instituted a course at the county jail to train inmates to be food people--cooks, sous chefs, and so on.  Having been in human resources, it interested me immensely; in addition, she had a wonderful delivery, full of life and verve.

After the gathering,  about twenty of us walked to The Greek restaurant for lunch. the room is mostly windows and overlooks the water, an ambiance I loves. I met, and bonded with Pat, who is an artist and also an adventurous lady (she's driving by herself to Arizona and New Mexico shortly); Dee Dee, who  retired after many years in banking, then was a tour guide in various areas of the west (she was born in Brentwood and I told her all I could think of was O.J. Simpson); Erica, who is a native Californian; and Lauren, who wants to get into film-making and might want to call me to discuss. I gave them all my card and will be happy to hear from any.

Home about 2:00 and I bused to Miramar to get my new glasses. It'll be a chore getting used to bifocals, but I can now see middle distances perfectly. I think I'll still use my dollar-glasses for close work, but that's okay by me.

I had intended to bus to a particular store in midtown, but started walking and went the mile and a half without realizing it. However, I saw on the door that it's now open only on weekends. Presumably, they have a staffing shortage, as so many have lately.

Got home, Suzanne stopped in and brought me a lovely rose from her garden, then we had a glass of Irish crème and chatted happily. She confided that she's going to retire soon, her fibro neuralgia being more painful than ever. Good--she's 74 and it's high time. She's apprehensive about it, though--she's been at St. John's for 35 years--but I know she'll find activities in retirement she likes to do.

I made oven-roasted cabbage "steaks" for dinner. Yes, that sounds bizarre, but I happened to see this on-line and wanted to try it. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with garlic salt, it was yummy, I thought--it may not be for everybody, though. 


No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...