Saturday, April 02, 2022

Friday

Home: 126.8 for a gain of .04; T.O.P.S.: 127.7, for a gain of .09. I'm fine with these tiny ones, of course.

I did the very short quiz program, then took out Molloy's Irish Crème, the glasses, and some Ritz Crisp and Thins, with creamy onion and sea salt, and served it up. Everybody loved both.

"Everybody," though, consisted only of Bobbi, Lennie, Lora, and me. Sharon had called me at 7:00 am to say she had been sick all night and Julie was on a trip. However, the four of us had a good time talking--what's in T.V. commercials, gender liaisons, and relatives. We then veered into our childhoods and upbringings and I mentioned my mother, with six children, had an au pair stay for the summer. She was a high school girl from Philly--this was common when I was a kid--who later became a Sister of St. Francis. My mother kept in touch with her for years and I have two pictures of Mom, Betty, and me visiting Sister Peturna (?) at the convent. The pictures are dated 4/14/41, so we were four and a half. Incredibly, I remember the occasion and I recall being very bored and restless--so was Betty--while Mom and Sister talked on and on:

I was amazed and delighted when Bobbi, who grew up on Long Island, NY, mentioned that she had been an au pair herself when she was 14--in Ventnor!  She didn't remember than name of the street, but said she had stayed only a month because she became homesick. 

Anyhoo, it was a good session, although (or maybe, because of) it had nothing to do with why we were actually there. My brother, Larry, called while it was going on and I said I'd call him later, which I did when I got home. We talked for one hour and five minutes and I was so pleased to realize he's still all there; Larry will be 90 in June.  

Had a late lunch (2:15), then took off. I walked over the foot bridge to Telephone Avenue, then bused to the mall. Went to Target and got a few things, including a little Easter gift for Mr. K., my grandson in Tokyo. Going home, I started composing a name rhyme for Larry for his birthday. Have to keep working on it.

I called Jim at 7:00 and he said if I hadn't, he would have called me--okay, good. We talked for a bit, then--natch--I invited him for lunch. He accepted--natch--and will be here, as ever, at 12:30.

P.S. The answer to yesterday's quiz question?  According to the study I have, it's Florida that has the highest percentage of both overweight and obese citizens.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Sound like a fun session yesterday at TOPS. Loved the pictures...I never knew anyone who had an au pair.

Mimi said...

They were pretty common in Ventnor, Pat.

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...