Sunday, March 22, 2015

Good Day

Picked Aline up for the P & P meeting at the Northfield Library. There were about twenty-five members present and, under Denise's guidance (which consisted of cajoling, bullying, and throwing up her hands in exasperation, the only way to ride herd on this outspoken gang), we immediately started on readings to decide which plays will be included in our June show.
Denise had us vote on each of the ten or so submissions right after it was performed.  In the absence of a selection committee, this is effective, I guess, but it's a bit uncomfortable in the presence of the author.  However, there were some bombs and, uncomfortable or not, we scratched them.
I had brought copies of a few of the short plays I had written for the acting class, but decided to submit only Imposter at first.  Luckily, both Meryl and Bobbi, who had performed it in the class, were there and I asked them to do the same yesterday.  I was pleased at how much they had improved, especially Bobbi.
The play itself went over big and was voted in.  Later, after we had gone through the others--including several dogs, I'm afraid--we didn't have quite enough material for a show.  I then submitted The Truth, the Embellished Truth, and Nothing Like the Truth and it was put on the program, also. 
Meryl submitted a play about a couple visiting a nursing home and asked me to play the old lady inmate.  However, it was not voted in; I didn't even vote for it, as it kind of meandered along and didn't go anywhere.  Later, Meryl asked if I would act as play doctor if she sent it to me and I agreed.  I'll see if I can help her sharpen it up a bit.
Sondra M. asked me to play the mother in her A Peaceful Reunion, an autobiographical play, which is the only kind she writes. That was fun and I'm looking forward to doing it in June.
After, Aline and I met Betty at the Shore Diner, as planned, and Louise and Denise came with us.  Had a good time, although we had barely sat down when Denise started on a harangue about a woman's right to abortion.  Betty follows Catholic dictates on this (as well as everything else in the religion realm), but didn't immediately react.  I didn't want this social gathering to degenerate into an argument--which in this case, can't possibly be resolved--so I simply mentioned that those who oppose abortion regard pregnancy as involving two people; the group then moved on to another topic.
Anyway, it was an enjoyable outing.  After a leisurely meal and good talk, we left, I drove Aline home, and got in to hear a message from Harry Woosley, Pat's old buddy in the Air Force.  Called him back and talked to his wife (who confided she had turned 84 last week), then he called me back and thanked me for the packet of letters I had sent him.
Good, active day and now I'm ready for some down time or, at least, some continued-packing time.                

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...