Monday, March 23, 2015

Another Goodie

Oh, I am so-o-o good.  I spent most of the day dealing with the laundry room.  That may sound simple enough, but it was a huge  job.  To wit:
I had had a old and decrepit wood bookcase (painted and with intricate side panel designs) next to the washer.  The top shelf held detergent, bleach, softener sheets, and Oxy-Clean and the other three were crowded with cleaning products.  I had dozens more on the two long shelves above the washer and dryer.  It's unbelievable how much I've accumulated: several cans of bug spray (I haven't had an insect in the house since it was treated for termites two years ago); no fewer than five silver polishes (my silver is at the consignment shop); floor-cleaning products for carpets and wood floors; and an array of other bottles, cans, and sprays for every conceivable use.  Plus--I had duplicates of lots of them. Why? Because, as daughter Ellen suggested, I couldn't find the originals.
Cleared them all out and put the bookcase in the garage; I'll drag it to the curb tomorrow.
I put a taller, deeper, and more utilitarian plastic shelving piece in its place and neatly arranged the items I use most often on it.  The other cleaning supplies, I separated roughly into categories and grouped together in see-through boxes.  Placed those on the longer shelf.
Swept, then dusted, then washed the floor; replaced the small step stool on which I keep the laundry basket; and cleaned the adjoining closet with the water heater.  Finally finished up about 3:30 and happily went to Acme with a real sense of acccomplishment.
Ellen called while I was gone.  Got back to her--she and Greg were at the Botanical Gardens in Santa Barbara--then made myself stir-fry for dinner and basked in my accomplishment.    

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...