Friday, November 25, 2005

Have decided to make this a weight-loss blog with no holds barred! (That means I chickened out on blogging my real thoughts and attitudes, as they're generally churlish.)
My weight story is a long and frustrating one, but pretty common, I think: Somewhat chubby as kid, slim as teen and into marriage, started gaining in 40's and up, lost some, gained more back, up and down for years. At last weigh-in, tipped scales at 192.4 (at 5' 3"). I'm a lifetime Weight Watchers member and, most recently, have been attending for a few months, but have been careless about following the program until last Wednesday, November 22, when the meetings started being held at the clubhouse of the over 55 community where we live.
That, of course, is a bare bones outline of my weight life, which also includes a 90 pound weight loss 15 or so years ago, using Opti-Fast. This was an expensive program lasting months, of course, during which I drank only a liquid that totalled 500 calories a day. A doctor took blood pressure, etc. every week and it included group couseling. We used to meet in Princeton and the thing was wildly successful. Of course, as soon a I got to my goal weight, I started putting back on the pounds and more. Such is life...
But back to the present: Was pretty satisfied with myself and my eating yesterday on Thanksgiving. I ate my regular WW breakfast and lunch and at daughter's (Alison's), didn't actually follow the points program, but ate reasonably moderately. There was, of course, an abundance of food--17 people there and enough for at least 50--including the usual turkey and trimmings. I had cheese and crackers, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, stuffing, plus wine and two desserts, so why am I okay with what I ate? Because I really didn't hideously stuff myself so I could hardly move. I also didn't eat when we got home, although Alison packed us up leftovers, including three kinds of pie.
Did I do exactly what I should have in the diet department? No. But did I just go hog-wild so I'm suicidal this morning? No, no, no, and that's a great feeling. I'll go right back on the program today and continue--I hope and expect to lose this week and continue on.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...