Thursday, January 16, 2020

Ye Gads And Little Fishes!

(That's an expression I haven't heard in a while.)
I like being active, but yesterday was over the top. Got up at 5:30 to have my coffee and do the blog and so on before I had to be ready for the Access Van to pick my up at 6:29. That worked out: I got there before they opened, but was only a few minutes early. Weighed in at 129.2, which is a pound over what I was five days ago at T.O.P.S., but who knows why and I don't really care.
No problems at the docs; she always marvels at my habits and general condition and we had a nice chat otherwise. I met up with Lara and her husband coming in while I was going out. Lara's in T.O.P.S., too, but hasn't been there in awhile. Unfortunately, she looks as if she's gained weight.
Walked down Johnson Avenue to the bus stop, prepared to walk farther if I had to, but a bus came along very shortly. Had breakfast, then started making the pasta salad for the potluck.
Finished that--it made quite a bit--and stored it in the fridge. I then walked to the stores near Wal-Mart, first stopping at BOA for quarters, which I always need. Didn't find everything I wanted at the stores, but got some poster stickers from Wal-Mart. Stopped at Von's for romaine for myself, then home for lunch.
I had gotten the water bill for the Sweetwater house, which for some reason, the water company won't allow in  my tenant's name, so I always have to send it.  Walked to the post office to mail it, along with a get-well card for Sharon, also in T.O.P.S., who has bronchial pneumonia.
Went from there back once again to Von's. On the way, I stopped into The Bake Shoppe, where Janelle works. She had played my granddaughter in "Welcome Home" and I wanted to ask if she was in the upcoming show. She is, and I hope to go, as well as audition for the spring one.
At Von's, I got the milk, butter, and flour I need for the blueberry buckle I planned to make for my little luncheon today. I no sooner got home than Nancy called to say her son had said it was going to rain today and she was afraid to drive in it, so if it did, she wouldn't be here.
I wasn't happy to hear this. I go to quite a bit of preparation when I have company and this was no exception. Also, I've been telling her about the Access Van, but--as with so many older people, I'm afraid--she resists his new thing. Now I'm not sure if I should just have Gail today and have Nancy tomorrow, or what. Well, she'll call and let me know shortly. If she begs off, I'm thinking of calling Stella to ask if she'll fill in. Maybe...
I had sent away for a poster I always liked and put it in my bedroom window:
Jim picked me up for the potluck, as planned, at 6:25. I was surprised that there weren't more people there; other times, the room was packed, but there were only about forty or so attendees. Anyway, the food was good, as was the wine. This is the third time Jim has been with me to this event and several people remembered him. The program was by the archivist at Cal State Camarillo; she wrote a book after researching the part of the college that had originally been a menial hospital. This kind of thing is right down my alley, so I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately, she was a annoyingly inept speaker, constantly waving her hands around and interjecting "you knows" and "heys" throughout. Her teeny-bopper style was weird, considering she was surely in her fifties, at least.
Anyway, we stayed after for a bit and I caught up with Connie about the Art Comes Alive  event I'll be doing again next month. Lynne had her docent sign-up there and I filled myself in for April and November. Got home at 9:30 and didn't retire until 10, which is why I didn't get up until 7:00.




No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...