Monday, January 13, 2020

Veggies And The Tide

It wasn't a bad Sunday, as Sundays go. I did, however, wake up at 4:30, earlier than I like, but I had slept through otherwise and that's a good thing.
Did the usual in the morning, then took my trusty little cart and walked to the market near Wal-Mart. I really stocked up on goodies: sweet peppers, spinach, zucchini, and tomatoes fresh, plus frozen spinach and canned beets and string beans. I rarely eat out of cans, but I like to have some veggies in reserve in case I run out of fresh. As for the beets, I've trimmed, sliced, and cooked fresh ones, and they're very good. However, if you have some left over and eat them the next day, they don't taste any different from canned--an odd phenomenon that I don't think is true of any other produce.
Home, and I sliced the tomatoes, added onions and so on, and put them in the oven. Sliced the zucchini and put it in the slow cooker with onions and rosemary sprigs; also quartered and squeezed in one of the beautiful lemons Ellen grows. I still have the peppers, which I'll get to shortly, probably to saute some and freeze the others.
Here are just two of my beautiful veggies:

Ellen called while driving (she has the hands-off device) and we had a good long talk, mostly about her class, which just resumed last Monday. She was on her way to The Hip Vegan to meet Greg for lunch and, as ever, I enjoyed so much talking to her.
Set off for town after lunch. Bused to the usual, walked down Main, then to The Promenade. The is the first time, I think, I've been there when the tide was out and it was interesting. Reminded me of Ventnor. (It's funny that I still think of Ventnor as home, although I haven't lived there for more than sixty years.)
Had a vegan dinner, as I often do. It consisted of a (homemade) black bean burger, the can of beets and a bowl of the zucchini--very tasty.




No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...