Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Red Hats And Vietnam

In spotty rain and gloom, my least favorite weather, got to the clubhouse at 11:00 and met up with the other six RHers.  Had a short "business meeting" (really just planning coming excursions), then went to the Dubliner on Jimmie Leeds Road.  Had what was billed as an "Irish Dip"--sliced beef on a roll with au jus.  I guess you could call it "Italian Dip" or "Norwegian Dip" or, for that matter, "Vietnamese Dip" depending on the venue.  It was mediocre, but the Blue Moon was its usual full-bodied, yummy self.
After, we walked across the strip mall to the ceramic place.  We picked out what we were going to paint--I got a small cup with eyes (don't ask) which, after I painted it, set me back twenty-one bucks and change.
Actually, it was fun.  That's not to say I produced a work of art: I am the world's worst when it comes to things like that and I doubt if five-year-old Tristan would have wanted to claim it, but so what?  I'll use it on my desk for pencils.
While the others were studiously finishing their works--I was a bit amused at how seriously they were taking it--I went across the way to Santori's for grapefruit and broccoli.  Once back we paid up and found we had to come back on Sunday to pick up the items, as they wouldn't be fired until then.
Got home about 3:00 and was excited to find on my porch my cousin's book, which I had ordered from Amazon.  Breaking Through Concrete/The Gift of Having Mentally Ill Parents is her account growing up with my uncle (depressive and possibly alcoholic) and his wife (schizophrenic and manic depressive).  I had had some idea of her life and the story is harrowing.  She has risen above it, though, and is a joyful person.
WIDER:  I thought the duplicity of the Pentagon had already overflowed its stinking bounds until I became aware that the American War* against Vietnam is being reshaped or rehabilitated or something to make it a noble enterprise that we won.  Damn!  Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMuc3RU0pEk&feature=youtu.be:
*I was in Vietnam last year and "the American War" is what they call it.  I visited a war crimes museum and lemme tellya: It's a whole other story when you're on the opposite side of a conflict. 

No comments:

Friday

Weight: home down a pound to 124.4; T.O.P.S., down .03 to 125.2, so okay. The meeting was the usual: therapy session and general chat for mo...