Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Tuesday

A very peculiar thing happened in the morning: water fell out of the sky !
At least, I think it was water--this was southern California rain, a kind of sullen drizzle. I started out to the Market, but decided against it after a mile or so, and turned back. It wasn't that I was very wet, I just didn't feel like going.
Prepared my sandwich, ale, and took some cloths to wipe the chairs, as I was expecting Jim for lunch. We met at 1:00, as planned, and sat in our regular spot near the pool. As ever, we talked and talked and talked, ranging from our Catholic backgrounds, our parents' marriages, politics, philosophy, and favorite books and authors. I urged him to read the poetry of  William Butler Yeats and he suggested I read Nausea, the novel by Jean-Paul Sartre. We both love biographies and I recommended Speak, Memory, one of the best by one of my all-time favorites, Vladimir Nabokov. As ever, it was deeply satisfying to discuss, argue, agree and disagree with someone you like and respect and who isn't committed to some rigid dogma. We didn't say goodbye until quarter of five.
Something disconcerting happened as we were talking: I declined two robo-calls and Jim mentioned he was on the "Do Not Call" list. (I thought I was, too, but clearly, it doesn't always work.)  Just a second or two after we mentioned it, a message appeared on my phone urging me to sign up for the Do Not Call Registry. Yes, there's no doubt they're not just tracking you on your computer, but are listening to your conversations. The mind reels...
Dermatologist today--ugh! I don't know why I asked my primary to see one, as the spots or whatever they are, are fewer. Oh, well--the Access Van is scheduled to pick me up at 9:13.
Yesterday, my grandson was seven years old; what a precious little cowboy!  💗

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Is this Mr. K? He's adorable.
My friend Tom with the ALS has a Master's in Philosophy and always quoted Sartre. I think his journey into Philosophy hastened his atheism/agnosticism...he's facing death and raised RC...got Master's in a Catholic University and says "sorry, it's all gone"...when I ask him about God.

Mimi said...

Yes, it's Mr. K. I miss him and his Dad so much. Thank you for the comment.
Hey, I can relate to Tom. Yet Jim reveres Aristotle and Plato, who seem to have developed a kind of quasi-religious belief, not exactly like theism. They believed in a "detached transcendent demiurge," in other words, not the benign god of much of western thought.
I found this in The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but of course, there's an enormous amount more to it. Here's the site:
https://iep.utm.edu/god-west/#:~:text=Aristotle%20made%20God%20passively%20responsible,(or%20its)%20divine%20existence.

Molloy・モロイ said...

Please do not post this photograph on the public Internet.

Mimi said...

I'm sorry! I thought it was okay if not on Facebook or other public site. I took it off.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...