Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Downtown And Daddy's Death

Walked to the market in the morning to get grapes, tomatoes, onions, and olive oil. Walking back, I got a welcome call from somebody out west and talked happily on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Route 126. I'm glad I got three miles in before lunch.
Home and I prepared the roast tomatoes with the ingredients I just bought, plus seasonings. Popped it in the oven and now I have enough for a week or so. I divided the grapes I had also bought into five bowls. When I watch T.V. from 8 to 9 pm, I snack on blueberries and grapes and it's not a good idea to just sit with a large bowl.
Re T.V.: My friend, Jim, was absolutely correct in being taken aback I had bought the DVD Scarface.  He mentioned the violence in in it and, hoo boy, that's putting it mildly. I watched about an hour of it Sunday night, but doubt if I'll continue. I might just throw it away--it's certainly garbage.
I discovered that our library opened yesterday--sort of. I think the arrangement entail some kind of request for book on-line, then a curbside pick-up. I haven't read the instructions  yet.
After lunch, I took off for town. Stopped in to Lure Fish House, where Lora and I will meet for lunch today. They thought it wouldn't be too crowded, but if it is, I'd just as soon go next door to Cafe Fiore. Walked from there to The Promenade, then the loop to Main and along there, so I got in about another three miles, which was good.
Got home about 5:00 and did yet another puzzle, this one of my son and his son in Tokyo. Little K. started the equivalent of first grade today--finally, after the CoVid holdup--and I can't wait to hear about it.
Today, June 2, is the seventieth anniversary of my father's death. It was a life-changing for my birth family, of course, and for our extended family, as well. He traveled a lot and stayed in Philadelphia during the week. He and my mother thought the big house at the shore was a good place for the six children to grow up, but his work was in Pennsy.  I was 13 when he was killed and I hardly knew him. I wish it had been different. We always called him "Daddy," never "Dad." Here he is when he got his masters degree from the University of Pennsylvania:

No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...