Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Got my hair done in the late afternoon. Leanne did a nice job of the color; it had been too blonde for my taste and she darkened it just enough. Also did a blunt cut, which looks good.
Went to our first Our Town gathering at 7:00. How wonderful to be back with theatre people! Oh, I know, this is just a little community group, but there was such a warm, convivial fellow feeling. We're a group of people committed to the success of a creative enterprise and it's good to be part of it.
We didn't actually rehearse last night, but received our schedules for rehearsals, and how well-thought-out and organized it is. That bodes well for the success of this huge undertaking, it seems to me.
The play includes a lot of characters, some of them with only a single line. My role, "Mrs. Soames," is meatier, but is certainly not one of the major roles. What I find amusing is that I appear both living and dead--several of the more important characters do,too.
It's interesting to observe how different the structure, language, and general ambiance Our Town is, compared to Steel Magnolias. The latter is what's known as an "ensemble" play, which means the characters are, to a large extent, equal in importance and have a similar number of lines. There are only six, all women between 25 and about 70. Our Town, on the other hand, includes at least thirty characters, men, women,and children of all ages, although some have no lines. Anyway, they're entirely different types of plays.
NO SNOW--at this point, anyway--thank heavens!

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...