Tuesday, February 15, 2011

After a seven-and-a-half flight on the wonderfullest airline ever--Singapore Air--arrived in Singapore on Sunday evening. Have spent some great time here, especially with my two darling granddaughters. Today, went with Mike and Paula to take little Violet for her first day of pre-school. She wasn't what you'd call enthusiastic about it. Saw Vivian off on her school bus, then Mike and I had a sumptuous breakfast at my hotel. After that, he took me to the waterfront, where we enjoyed the scenery; he had to go to work at noon. No problem, as Singapore is very easy to navigate on foot. Went to the famous Raffles Hotel complex, right across the street from the Fairmount, where I'm staying. Saw their museum and walked in the hallowed footsteps--I told myself--of Somerset Maugham and Noel Coward, who used to hang out here.
After, had lunch at The Alligator Pear next to the pool. A club sandwich and glass of Tiger beer was--gulp!--$37 dollars. Freshened up a bit, then walked to the Singapore National Library; very large and lots of dedicated readers there.
Got a cab to Mike's, where I am now, and offered my condolences on the death of Musha. The little warrior (her name means that in Japanese) was 17 years old. They found her in Savannah, on a bridge, in the rain and she lived with them in Savannah, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Rest in peace, Kitty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, I hope you get to try a "Singapore Sling" while you're there! Wish I had tried one--I hear they're delicious, but strong. Farewell, beautiful Musha!
Love,
E

Mimi said...

Yes, I'm dying to have a Singapore Sling. Raffles Hotel, where they originated, is right across the street and I want to have one there for the first time. Poor Musha--but she had a long and good life.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...