Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Friends

My old neighbors and dear friends, Leslie and Dennis R., got here, as promised at 11:30 and picked me up. I took them to Heritage Restaurant nearby and we settled in to eat, talk, laugh, cry, and talk some more.

Les and Dennis suffered a tragedy twenty years ago when their oldest son, Anthony, suddenly died of a heart attack, with no warning. He was thirty, married, and had a fifteen-month-old daughter. The couple were devastated, of course, and it was very hard for Leslie, in particular. They  have two other sons and several grandchildren. Both are now 75, although they don't look it. I feel a kinship with Leslie in some fundamental way, in light of the sad decline of my dear twin.

The R.s have a condo in Saratoga, Florida, as well as their house in Sunrise Bay, a few doors down from mine. They plan to go south on December first and stay until April. In truth, I would like to have an arrangement like that myself, but don't see how that could work out. I certainly don't want to move back yearly to Little Egg.

Anyway, Les and Dennis came in to chat after lunch and we sat and talked, reminiscing especially, about neighbors now gone: Judy, Marge, the Gibneys, and--the one that especially shocked me--Anne Mary Haynes. She had been their next-door neighbor, a rather eccentric spinster who had taught math for years. Like my friend, Jim, she had been only child, never married, and had virtually no relatives. She was a true hypochondriac, so I never expected her to die--sigh

We said goodbye with smiles and hugs, vowing to keep in touch, and off they went. Darn, we all forgot to take pictures, but I hope to get back there again, if I can arrange it.  

Walked 3.6 later in the afternoon and wow, that was enough for me. It was cold, windy, and just generally the weather I'm glad I escaped. 

A few hours from now: FLORIDA!


 


No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...