Sunday, August 20, 2023

Saturday

I dressed in my somewhat cumbersome fishwife outfit and Ellen picked me up at 11:00. Off we went to the Maritime Museum and I started my stint. Actually, it turned out to be more enjoyable than I thought it would be. I met "Americus Vespucci" AKA Chris Something, and chatted with him. As it turned out, he's president of the Maritime Museum, a very nice guy. Unfortunately, unlike in years past, the event was sparsely attended, maybe because of the dire weather prediction. However, I enjoyed reprising my role and the details of my talk came easily.

As requested, El picked me up at 4:15 and we went back to my place with plenty of time to spare. She had brought some of her third-grade school work (the kids come back on Thursday) and, while I had a bite and dressed, she got some of that done. Call time was 6:30 and she dropped me off.

The cast experienced the usual preliminaries: sit around, chat, get up and walk around, chat, mill around, listen to Jeff's address, joke and laugh, sit around, chat, get bored--rinse and repeat. Here are some pics from hanging out last night, rendered with background removed, thanks to Amy, who showed me how to do that:
George, old lady with wrinkles, and Amy.
Caitlin, Lindsay, and Christina.

Lisa, Lindsay, and Alphonse.
Everybody was talking about the big storm coming, which may have influenced the smaller audience. The house holds sixty people, which includes the higher-priced tables in the front, which seat four or five, plus the rows of seats behind them. Opening night they were completely filled, but last night, only forty were in the audience. No matter, though, because it really, really came together.

I was thrilled to be complimented on my performance by several. Spence, who is really the star of the play I'm in, After All This Time, came up and told me his sister was in the audience and she had tears in her eyes. Spence is a semi-professional actor from Santa Barbara and his comment made my day. In addition, director Karyn said she loved my portrayal of the long-time lost love; so did several others in the cast. 

After the show, I kept Ken waiting--he always wants to leave right away--while I enjoyed a glass of Chardonnay with Vera, her daughter, Kendra, and others. Finally left and got home at 11:00. Watched some Suits before going happily to bed. We go on today at 5:00--not sure how well the ticket sales are going.

Got up to see that it's raining, but so far, anyway, I see no evidence of a violent storm. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...