Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Betty, Trump, and The Numbskulls

Monday seems to be wash day for me. I again stripped my bed, re-made it, then did a bleach wash. Everything was finished and put away by 10:00.
It occurred to me that Betty might need some cheering up after her fall, so I called to see if she wanted me to come up today. No answer, so I texted her. Called several more times through the day and the message machine always picked up.
I worked on my play after lunch. I've decided to re-write it and added two more characters, which I think will work better. I'll keep much of the dialogue,* but will revise extensively.
Later, I walked down Victoria to Telephone, got the bus there and went to Office Max for magenta. I decided to go to Target from there--not the one at the mall I usually frequent--and walked over. At the drive, I saw this:
20191125_144707.jpg
I talked to this man and this is a quick approximation rundown of our exchange:
Me: "May I take your picture?"
Him: "Sure."
Me (after): "Thank you."
Him: "You're welcome.I'm a vet, you know."
Me: "Yes, but I'm a pacifist. That means I don't like the military."
Him: "I was in Vietnam. Twenty-five thousand were killed."
Me: "Many more than that. You're counting only Americans."
Him: "Lots of Vietnamese killed, too."
Me: "Yes, and what was it all for?"
Him: "For nothing. It was a  bad thing. But I had to go; they made me."
Me: "I know you did, you were drafted.  You're a decent person, but you couldn't refuse."
I then gave him a few dollars, we said goodbye, and I left. I don't consider him my inferior in any way, even if I don't agree with his beliefs.
Went from there on yet another bus to the other Target. As I got off, I heard someone call "bus, bus," asking me to tell the driver to wait. I did so, then saw it was Diane. She was pushing her walker, which has a big "Go, Bernie!" sign on it. I held the bus for her and we wished each other Happy Thanksgiving. Maybe sooner or later, we'll become friends again. Hope so.
Got my blueberries, as well as some little gifts for my granddaughters. Home and called Betty yet again with no answer. Called Carolyn and Betty's okay, but probably had the phone off. Carolyn said there was a fire up in the hills, so I said I'd skip SB today and go next week.
Earlier, Gail had called to suggest we meet this morning for a walk. Great idea--I called her back and we made a date for her to come here at 9:00, then we'll walk the back way.
Betty again didn't answer, so I called Carolyn, who said Betty probably had just turned her phone off and forgotten to turn it back. That's what had happened and shortly after, Betty called. This time, she was frantic about losing her IPad. Maybe it's at the Friendship Center where Carolyn took her yesterday or, who knows, maybe it's in the freezer. This kind of thing happens so frequently, it's alarming.
* AAGH! After the brain dead at Spellcheck told me "dialogue" was in error. I tried to call them "numbskulls" here and they wanted it changed to "numskulls"! Un-friggin'-believable!



2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Just wanted to let you know the last three jpegs you posted do not show on my iPad. There is a large square with ? in the center. Maybe it's on my end.

Mimi said...

Darn, Pat, I don't know why that is. I did put this one (on Trump man) on Facebook, if you want to see it. Thanks for letting me know.

Friday

Weight: home down a pound to 124.4; T.O.P.S., down .03 to 125.2, so okay. The meeting was the usual: therapy session and general chat for mo...