Friday, November 08, 2019

"Big River"

Changed my sheets and got them and a big load of whites finished by 10:30. Suzanne stopped to tell me she's going to a regional conference (Sisters of Mercy) in Burlingame and will be back Sunday. We chatted about that and the new management for a bit, standing in our joint walkway.
Because I wasn't exactly sure the Rubicon Theatre was on Main Street, so I bused to town and found where to get off--easy  peasy; it's just after the park. Stopped at the 99Cent store for napkins and Targets for blueberries, then walked back to the transit center.
Jumped in the shower after lunch, ate a sketchy dinner of leftovers (a small bean burger, about three ounces of salmon, and zucchini and onions), then dressed for the theatre. I left at 5:00 to get the number 6, which would get me there at 5:20 and was glad it wasn't completely  dark yet. It turned out that the 21 bus came earlier and I caught that, so I was a full 45 minutes early. I didn't mind, though; I waited outside for Terri, enjoying scenes of the street. Betty called while I was there, alarmed about the earthquakes. What earthquakes? You've got me, but we chatted amiably. Terri came, we bought our tickets--sixty-nine bucks each and I almost choked, but then realized that since I sold the car, I'm rolling in dough and we actually got seats right on the stage.
The Rubiicon is a former church and is rather small, set up--well, not "in the round," more like in the three-quarters. The unique seating arrangements meant that Terri and I sat on the specially-constructed stage, so were just feet and sometimes inches, from the performers.
And what performers!  And what a production! It was just magnificent--a swiftly-moving story line, wonderful songs (a small live orchestra, also on the stage), and the actors! Hey, these were Broadway caliber people, black and white, large and small parts. Their voices, their dancing, their exuberance, their energy (I tell my acting students that last is essential to good actors, no matter their parts) were some of the best I've ever seen.
At intermission, I got a beer and some chips and Terri and I chatted with some of the other patrons, then settled down for the second act, which was just as good as the first.
Happily, Terri took me home (it's not really out of her way) and that was as 10:30! For the first time in months, I went straight to bed without blueberries or anything else, and slept through until 6:30. Cheryl will be picking me up for T.O.P.S. in an hour and some.
Here's a picture and a review of the show from the LA Times; Terri and I sat on the right on the stage.
A runaway slave (David Aron Damane) teaches Huck Finn (Josey Montana McCoy) a life-changing lesson in “Big River” at the Rubicon in Ventura.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2019-11-01/big-river-huck-finn-musical-rubicon-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_cam

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...