Saturday, September 07, 2019

A Painting And A Party

Pretty busy day. Suzanne and I left for the Reagan Library in Simi Valley exactly at 9:15 and arrived about an hour later. It was crowded, but not unbearably so and not nearly as crowded as when Ellen and I went for the Titanic exhibit.
Da Vinci was just an incredible genius in many spheres. I was somewhat surprised that what seemed to be emphasized was his wizardly in mechanical inventions, rather than his painting. He worked up plans for flying machines, bicycles, self-operating carts, and an incredible kind of organ music maker. All of these were crafted and displayed and at one point, the "organ" was played by a musician. He also invented a number of war implements, including "robot warriors."
As for the painting, a room was devoted to the Last Supper and Mona Lisa. Life-sized replicas were here, including a spectacular rendering of the Last Supper, which filled one whole wall. I found the explanations of how Da Vinci depicted the apostles fascinating, their body attitudes, facial expressions, and hand gestures all had meaning. Even the placement--those to the right of Christ and those to the left were purposely put there. Christ himself is, of course, in the middle and is backed by a blue sky and open space.

We had lunch on the veranda that overlooks the lovely Simi Valley, then drove home. On the way, Suzanne and I talked about the different lives that nuns live now, compared to when I was a girl--a remarkable change, it seems to me.
Home about 2:30 and I left for the bus to town shortly after. On the way, Stella texted me to see where I was. After back-and-forth texts, we decided to meet at the library, did so, then went to Aloha for her lunch and my Happy Hour veggie wraps and beer. We then walked The Promenade for a bit before Stella took me to Main to get the bus.
In between all this, there were lots and lots of "group texts" about the surprise party for Dean tonight. I did reserve the Access Van, but hope somebody will take me instead, as the party's is in Santa Paula. If not, I'd have to be picked up at 3:00, driven to the end of town, dropped off, then picked up by another van there. I'm mulling over whether to call somebody from the show to take me, instead.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...