Monday, September 02, 2019

Party

Slept until 7:30 and didn't have breakfast until 9:00. Did my Sunday stuff, then more or less lazed around until lunchtime. For a change, I didn't have a salad, but ate a Lean Cuisine pasta and meatballs frozen meal. Not sure how long it's been in the freezer. Hmm...maybe I brought it from Jersey four years ago.
After, I went to Winco to buy Corona Premium in the small bottles, so they'd fit in my smaller insulated bag. Sliced up a lime to put in the beer and added my cold glass, just in case they only have plastic. No need to bring food, as Jeff and Shannon had the party catered.
And what a party! The Access Van came early, as usual, so I got there at 5:30, a full half hour before I should have. Skulked around outside until Jeff pulled into the drive and I went in with him. Greeted Shannon, then went into the garden, opened one of my Coronas, and settled down to wait for the rest of the guests.
In the meantime, the two caterers, Quentin and Whatshisname, fired up the barbecue, set up their serving tables, and laid out their luscious spread of beef ribs, macaroni and cheese, shredded pork, and homemade Cole slaw. Guests were asked to bring their own drinks and Chuck F. brought two big coolers, full of craft beers, none of which I had ever tasted. He poured me samples now and again, which included chocolate-flavored ale, which I've had before and which is vile.
Great night. I met spouses and partners I hadn't before and found that many were either musicians or performers of some kind. I especially liked Bryan, who mentioned he went to pricey Ojai Valley School, where Vivian and Violet went to summer camp a few months ago.  Interestingly, his roommate was the son of the old-time T.V. star, Robert Culp ("I Spy").
I got to know better a lot of those I had performed with, and the people they brought.  Aside from Ben, who was off on a trip, I think almost the whole cast, plus lighting, sound, and band members, were there. I knew Ariana and her boyfriend were off on a trip to Santa Barbara, but they came in just as we were leaving. Shannon had suggested I cancel the van to go home, which I did, and Sean and Crystal took me home.
It was so good to reunite with my tribe.


No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...