Friday, September 13, 2019

Doctor, Chores, Calls, And Challenges

Made my 8 am doctor appointment in plenty of time. As ever, Dr. Jennings marveled at the shape I'm in (mentally and physically, I guess), my activities, and my general outlook on life. It always floors me when people express things like this. What am I supposed to do--sit and watch television all day? It reminds me of years ago at Rider. I conducted exit interviews with those leaving the college  and when I asked at a soon-to-be retiree if she was looking forward to not working, she answered, "Oh, it just means you're waiting to die."  Geez, with that attitude, she may have kicked off by this time.
Blood pressure was 132/76, which seems high to me, but maybe not. I was pleased to weigh  in at 129.6 and will be weighed again at T.O.P.S. shortly; I'll see if it's the same. Got home and signed up for "FollowMyHealth." It actually provides all my medical records on-line; I think it's pretty neat; now I don't have to wade through paper after paper to find something.
That scummy outfit, Yandoo, called to tell me--yes!--the Internet outage was their fault. Damn, I knew it all along and asked if I'd get a refund of my payment. I was told they'd take ten dollars off (for two days of it being out!), but I wonder if they inform people of that if they don't ask.
I was pleased to get a load of things done that had been hanging:
--drove to the ARC thrift store in town to buy a wicker container, just right for the space next to my bureau--
--put in he container it a lot of Dudley House and other stuff I had had more or less just piled in the corner;
--called Donna M. of Readers Theatre to tell her I'd decline joining their group. Emailed Joannne M. to tell her the same;
--called the free lunch/hearing people to register Noreen and me for Tuesday;
--called Noreen to tell her we should be there at 11:15;
--e-mailed Diane to see if she wanted to go to the Bargain Box'es fifty percent off sale tomorrow, then lunch after--yes, indeedy;
--called Cheryl to ask her to pick me up for T.O.P.S. this morning; I'll get weighed, than walk to the transit center for the bus to Santa Barbara;
--emailed Fern to tell her I was withdrawing from Toastmasters;
--called Betty to remind her I'd be at her place today;
--and a few other things.
Suzanne stopped to give me some salad greens. She also gave me information on an Alzheimer's seminar at St. John's on Saturday, but I'll be oit with Diane.
Hopped the bus to go to town and meet Nancy and Carolyn at Lemon y sal for Happy Hour. It was good and we had a pleasant time. The problem came when I accepted Carolyn's invitation to drop me off at my place, as she had to pick up her daughter at Ventura College at 6:00. I should have said I wanted to go to the library or anything else to avoid it, but I didn't. Carolyn never drives much over 20 miles an hour (according to Nancy, even on the freeway; C. got a ticket once for driving too slowly) and consistently rides on the glass guides that define the lanes, so there's always a bump, bump, bump. Driving to my place is pretty straightforward, but guiding her there is always a challenge, especially because this time, Nancy chimed in, which confused things further. Anyway, we finally got here.  Called Nancy later and we commiserated over the situation.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...