Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pool, Pat, And Planet of the Apes

Got to the pool opening breakfast about 10:30 and stayed a bit more than an hour.  It was terrific: a gorgeous, sun-filled day, good food and drink, and wonderful company.  I sat with Susan and Walter, Bessie and Bob, Anna P., and Joan C. under the awning (which I remarked was a great addition to the clubhouse patio).  Had a bloody Mary (I asked bartender Jack if they were half and half--boy, potent) and a mimosa (could I resist?), a croissant, and fruit.  Ninety of my good neighbors were there and it was a great kickoff to summer.
Got home and called my friend, Pat, who had said goodbye to her Rich on Friday.  We had a good talk and a convivial one; I know all too well the routine of losing a spouse after seeing him decline.  Pat is an experienced and knowledgeable R.N.--she used to teach nursing--and nobody could have cared for Rich as well as she.  She'll have some rough, rough spots, but she has a loving extended family and good friends and I know she'll be okay.
Went up north later and thanks to the couple there, finally got my DQ pictures on the flash drive.  Declined an invitation to dinner, as I thought it would rain and wanted to be home.  It didn't, but it's threatening as I look out the window. 
Had a message from Leslie when I got in, called her back and we talked for a half hour, just hashing over this and that.  She said she'd look at what days we can meet for lunch.  (This is so different from my dates with many of my other friends.  We might call each other at noon and say, "Have you eaten yet?  Let's go to The Grapevine," then grab our purses and be ready on the spot.  Les seems to have to "prepare" for these little jaunts or something; not sure why.)
Got an enjoyable Skype call from P. and N.--things okay in Tokyo and here, too
I'm free today and for all of this week so far.  Now I must turn my attention to planning my narrative for the program.
WIDER:  Is the whole world nuts?  Yes, we in the U.S. are bristling with guns, drones, and bombs, but we're not the only ones:
http://original.antiwar.com/hallinan/2012/05/24/asias-mad-arms-race/
What kind of insanity is this?  And to what fresh hell are we consigning ourselves?  Just watch Planet of the Apes to find out.

No comments:

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...