Thursday, April 02, 2009

Well, I'm set to be in the Tuckerton show on April 26. Met with others last night, many of whom will sing. As far as I know now, only Frank D. and I will "recite"--he's going to do something by John Masefield. Seems to me Mansfield is kind of a pokey, not first rank, poet, but I'll keep my mouth shut.
Ordinary, low-key day otherwise. Am looking forward to the caregivers' gathering today in Bayville (about 35 minutes from here). However, it's run by the N.J. Dept. on Aging, so I have little expectation that it will be anything interesting, let alone useful. From my earlier experiences, they seem to be one of those government agencies that offer a lot of soulful advice ("Be sure to make time for yourself," "It's important to so this, that, and the other thing," and so on and cliche-ly on), and little practical help. Whaddya mean, I'm a cynic?!
Wider: Chris Floyd's latest piece on his blog, "Empire Burlesque," calmly, succinctly, and perfectly outlines the ways our government continues its imperialism and gets the electorate to believe its wars are legit. This is so well written, I don't want to quote or paraphrase, except to mention the gem he uses to remark that, in order to interpret the aims and purposes of the ruling class, we must act as our own Kremlinologists. What a phrase! What an intellect! The essay is called "Darkness Renewed: Terror As A Tool Of Empire." See it on http://www.chris-floyd.com/

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...