Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Yesterday started out fine, but tanked in the afternoon. Got a call from Betty and we had a good chat. Met the volunteer coordinator at the library--this was for the "bringing books to shut-ins" activity, which I know I'll enjoy. The Ocean County Library system is very well-organized, considering both this and the "Conversational English" program. The rep gave me a thorough briefing, and followed up with a packet containing all the information I need, including a job description. As a former HR person, I appreciate the professionalism and attention to detail this shows.
Got home to make Pat's lunch before he went to the bay. Got a call from the other rep for my conversational English class, which will start in February. She asked if I could make it on Monday evenings and I agreed. (Will have to catch the Roloffs another day.)
Spent an hour in the garage sorting through the Christmas stuff to take to Jen's after I have lunch today with former colleague, David, in Allentown. Went to Acme. Then--as I always do in late afternoon--checked the mail.
The mail. What's this from Stafford Township? A summons? Whatever for?
Omigod! I've been charged with "passing a school bus while picking up or discharging." I was informed that school buses are equipped with video cameras and there, at the bottom of the page, is a picture of my car. I'm told it happened on October 9 in Manahawkin, but I have no recollection of doing this. I called the court and can't just pay a fine, but must appear in court on--get this--December 21, my birthday.
Got a letter from a attorney in the same mail and called him. We discussed this, he reassured me he can negotiate to lower the points--as it stands, it's a five point offense!--and advised me not to go without an attorney. His fee is $410. I said I'd get back to him.
I told Pat, then e-mailed all my children to ask their advice. Heard back from Alison and son Mike and they think I can negotiate it myself. Ellen will be here and can go with me. Not sure what I'll do.
Alison called on her way home from work, but hadn't yet received my message. She was calling to say she had submitted her resignation and her last day will be--yes, December 21! The job is very stressful and occupational therapists being in great demand, she gets invitations to apply from other employers frequently. Brave and smart that she is, she decided to end it and, notwithstanding that big, beautiful, costly addition, took the plunge and resigned. Whew, what a bombshell!
As ever, I felt a lot better after talking to her. I'm still very much concerned about our insurance going up, but she's sure I can negotiate it down myself. Still don't know if I'll go with representation or not--we'll see.
Today, I hope to forget all this while I have lunch with David, then show the Christmas stuff (my whole back seat is filled) to Jen. Alison had a good ploy: She asked me to imagine I had a friend in this predicament and think what I'd say to her. Well, I'd tell her, "Don't worry, it isn't as bad as you think, you'll get through it, it's not the worse thing in the world...." That helps and I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

What a horrible feeling that was. I got a ticket on Thanksgiving Day 2 yrs ago and had to go to court. Court was intimidating and I was glad to have someone with me. Glad Ellen will accompany you. Even tho I didn't get fined, I had to pay court charges.
That lawyer wants $410...I wonder what he could do for you...and he can't guarantee anything. I wonder what the max fine could be. When the judge sees you are a first time offender and a sweet lady...notice I didn't say old...with grandchildren of your own, hopefully he or she will be lenient.
When I got a speeding ticket one time in NJ on the AC Xpressway...I got points that lasted for 3 yrs, I think. Not much you can do about it.
Do what you can do and pay the fine....your worst day was yesterday opening that letter and that day in history. Ellen will keep you focused...then do something joyful for your special day...the anniversary of your birth.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...