Thursday, November 15, 2007

Had a neat day at Sister Jean's Kitchen. We served spaghetti and sauce with ground meat and meatballs (they made a big hit), fish until it ran out, then chicken, and collard greens until they ran out, then string beans. Along with two teachers, there was a group of kids helping from St. Nicholas School in Egg Harbor. They were about 12 or 13 and clearly, had been there before--possibly they come monthly--because they readily lined themselves up to act as "runners," carrying the filled plates to the customers. How much better this is than kids plopped in front of the T.V. or computer. Better for the kids, I mean.
I was at the spaghetti station. I could have used tongs, but was told grabbing the pasta with my hand and putting it on was easier, and it was (of course, we all wear gloves). Only slight drawback was that, once I got to the bottom of the steam tray, the stuff was damn hot and I had to be quick about it.
As before, it was very intense for a few hours. The dining room opens for lunch at eleven (breakfast is from 7 to 10), a religious service is conducted, and the hot meal is served at noon. Doors close at 2:00--I think, but am not quite sure.
Sister Jean will serve Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings on the actual day and, I understand, the St. Nick students will be there. If I didn't have eleven people coming, I would be, too.
I'm going to propose to the Women's Club that we make Sister Jean's the object of one of our cash gifts. I'll approach the new officers in January, as we have our Christmas luncheon instead of a meeting in December
Got home about 3:00 and, in comparison, did little of consequence the rest of the day.
Later: I'm back from Weight Watchers and down another pound for 45.6 pounds off. Current weight: 154.

1 comment:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary I left a comment about two hours ago and when I went back to check it had not gone through. I'll try it again.

What a wonderful feeling to help the needy. I wish I could stand on my feet longer I'd love to do something like that.
I'm afraid I'd brake down if I went to a place like that. I get very emotional when I see people in need and know I have so much I want to share.
Congratulations on your weight loss, boy you are really taking it off.

Monday Matters of Business

Just ignore this entry, and go to the next:  Having absolutely VOWED to quit procrastinating, I got these things done on my list: 1. Called ...