Friday, October 13, 2017

Lunch And The Queen

Boy, it was cool at Kimball. I wore long pants and a heavy sweater when I walked. Home by 8:00, I had breakfast, then called brother Frank in Alameda.
It was such a pleasure to talk to him, but unsettling, too. He sounds very much the same, with a big, buoyant voice, but is sadly diminished. He told me he was at his younger daughter's, as his children "won't let me" stay alone. However, we had a good talk and when I said I want to come see him, he was very enthusiastic. After we hung up, I e-mailed both daughters (his sons live farther away from him) to ask their advice. I asked if coming after Thanksgiving would work, as we have the performance the Friday before.
Left to meet Nancy at 11:00. Parked at the museum and walked down (Dargan's is a half-block from the library) and we had salads, plus Chardonnay for her and Harp (Irish beer) for me. The movie is just a few doors down and we strolled there to see Victoria and Abdul.
I greatly dislike "docudramas" to begin with and this pulled out all the stops when it came blatant sentimentality, I'm afraid. In other words, I think the writing could have been better. I'm not sure how far taking liberties went; the opening said it was "a true story--mostly." I assume the queen had an Indian servant of whom she was fond, and that he taught her some Indian language, but their intimate moments (not sexual ones) seemed to me contrived. However, the scenery, sets, props, and costumes were fabulous; generally, I enjoyed the movie, if not the genre.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...