Friday, October 20, 2017

Toastmasters Two

Aside from my two walks, getting gas, and stopping at WinCo to buy shrimp, I spent virtually the entire day organizing and rehearsing my talk for Toastmasters.
Ran into Suzanne on her way to the pool (she swims for exercise) and Steve Y. when I was getting in my car at the museum. We chatted a bit, then off I went. Had an early dinner, showered, dressed, and went off to the meeting.
This is a good group, if a little long in the tooth. It meets at The Lexington, which is an independent living facility, and a very nice one. (This is where Ken, my elderly (92) former neighbor moved.) There were ten people there, including Fern, who's also in the other group. I was the first speaker and did my thing on "My Road to Stardom." Fern dreamed up the title, which I found amusing.
My talk went over big. I had brought a number of artifacts, such as playbills, programs, and framed picture of myself in various roles. The idea is to talk for no longer than seven minutes (there's a timekeeper), and I just made it. I must say everybody loved it. Of course, this group is called "Humor and Drama," so it was fitting. There were two other speakers; one, born and brought up in Alaska, spoke about that, the other Halloween when she was a child. The president, Judi, told what was supposed to be a horror story. I've heard this hoary tale before: killer bribes a guard to smuggle him out of prison in a coffin, pretend to bury him, then spring him, but things go awry, and killer finds guard next to him as he hears the dirt fall. Don't remember if it's Poe or not.
Anyway, it was fun and I actually like this group as much or better than the other. However, I was stunned to be told I'd have to pay separate dues. I just can't see my way clear to shelling out three hundred a year, so I'm mulling over what to do.
Got an adorable homemade Halloween card from Mr. K. in Japan. It includes a picture of him in a witch hat, holding a pumpkin. I'll try to take a pic and add it here.
Aside from all that, I was delighted to get a call from Ellen. She suggested we do something tomorrow, and I'm on board, of course. I'll look up what's going on in Ojai and it'll be fun.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Please share Toastmasters topics as they are presented...I'm assuming you'll stay with the group. Sounds great. I'm going to use the 'Halloween Memories' topic you mentioned yesterday at our next TGIF. Hopefully having a topic will keep the conversation off of Trump.

I remember when a Toastmasters club was started at Holy Spirit. It was for boys only. I guess the 'powers that be' didn't think we girls would ever be public speakers. LOL Later we had a Forensic Club which helped with developing our skills.

BTW....the $300 annual dues does sound a bit high. What do you get for it?

Mimi said...

I will share them, Pat. As for the dues, they're $65 for six months, so I exaggerated a bit, although that's still $130 a year, BUT that's for one chapter only. The other one,which I attended last night and is "Humor and Drama," would be an equal amount, so a total of $260 a year. As to what you get for it, a magazine, plus constructive criticism of your speech and/or technique. (It seems to me nothing but praise is forthcoming.) I guess there are other things, but frankly, they don't mean much to me. I have no desire to be on the speakers circuit, not am I afraid of public speaking. I think I'll probably stay in the first one ("Pointsettia Toastmasters") and skip the other.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...