Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Seafood and Corporate Greed

Picked up Aline at the Stafford library in Manahawkin and we went to the newly-opened The Old Causeway for lunch--
At least, I think it's called "The Old Causeway."  The wait staff were all wearing shirts with "Mud City" on them and a sign on the roof said the same.  It's out in the middle of the swampy area before the bay on, appropriately enough, Bay Avenue.  I wasn't terribly hungry, so ordered what was listed as an appetizer--three each of oysters, clams on the half shell, and you-peel shrimp. You can't beat fresh seafood at the Jersey shore, say I; it was so fresh and so good.
Took Aline to my house after.  She oohed and ahhed over the new videos of Booful Baby, then went next door to Frank's, as they were distributing flyers about Tony and the Heiress around town.  Frank then dropped her off at her house; I picked her up for rehearsal a few hours later.
We did the second act and included the singing part--hey, it was terrific.  I forgot what a good voice Jim has; in addition to his solo, Neil, Brittany, and Mary sang.  Desi was supposed to sing, also, but he fell asleep and, when aroused, said he had to go home.
Aline and I both think Desi is fading.  He's over eighty and seems to out of it a lot of the time.  He plays "a curmudgeon" (type-casting at its finest) and has only a few lines, but delivers them in a vague, distracted manner.  He left early, too.
We broke up at 8:30--fine by me--but will rehearse tonight and tomorrow night, also.  I want to be off-book tonight and, considering the few lines I have, that shouldn't be difficult.
WIDER:  Could this be the opening gun in the battle to wrest this country from the clutches of the wealthy?  I fervently hope so:      http://www.commondreams.org/news/2014/08/05/supermarket-workers-customers-join-unprecedented-uprising-against-corporate-greed

3 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Wetzel said...

Following the link, it was predictable: Market Basket is a stock company. Which is, I think, how a lot of the responsibility for these basically-evil practices gets diffused, spread so thin that no one is effectively responsible. Everyone with an investment portfolio (including me, and virtually anyone else who might read this) is ultimately responsible, since we perversely incentivize the people who run business in America (and anywhere else with an American-style economy). We demand maximum short-term performance from our holdings (which is to say that we pay someone, a portfolio manager, to demand those maximum returns for us), and this is what we get. We're all riding the swings and seesaws in the Devil's playground.

Mimi said...

Ouch, Jim, I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't. I have a modest amount in Vanguard and yes, of course, I'm pleased when it earns interest. It used to be possible to invest in more people-friendly stocks, but I haven't heard about that lately. Incidentally, your last sentence is a gem.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...