Monday, February 12, 2007

Yesterday was Pat's birthday and it was a good one--very low-key this year (unlike the 75th blowout)--with just Alison, Mike, Joel, Jen, Joely, and us. Sometimes such an intimate family gathering is more fun than one with a cast of thousands. J., J., and J. came about 3:00, before A. and M., and we spent a fun time going over pictures of both Joels. Alison brought pork tenderloin, which is kind of vacumn-packed with Cajun (or something) seasoning. I thought it was great--very tender and flavorful--but Pat wasn't enthusiastic. A. also brought string bean casserole, seafood soup, a wonderful red "sweater jacket" for her Dad, and best of all, her warm, affectionate, cheery self. His other presents included a squirrel-proof bird feeder, underwear, candy, and gift certificates from Amazon.
Our other children called, Mike in the morning, Ellen and Patrick later, and so did my brother, Jim. Pat got e-mails from several friends with birthday congrats, and will be taken out to lunch today by friends Ray and Frank.
A minor hitch: I had debated with myself whether to bake a chocolate cake or just buy one and finally took the easy way out and went over to Acme to get one. I decided on carrot cake, remembering how much Pat likes it, but when I got home, I found out he doesn't like it. I'm not sure if I just misremembered or if his tastes have changed. Alison thinks that, as time goes on, there are more and more items on his "no-like" list and I'm afraid that's true--just another sad and dispiriting sign of aging and illness, I believe.
Well, at least he wasn't deprived of cake: After our walk yesterday, Susan had given me two pieces of the sheet cake she had for her party Saturday night, one vanilla, one chocolate, and Pat ate the vanilla. As it turns out, Joel doesn't like carrot cake, either, so he had the chocolate.
Today, I go to a caregiver's group at Bacharach, and I'm looking forward to it with interest. Will report back on tomorrow's entry.

No comments:

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...