Friday, February 09, 2007

After a nice brisk walk with Susan in the morning ("brisk" is the operative word here--we were freezing our asses off), I enjoyed a pleasant day. Had a good chat with sister Betty, then did my usual morning chores (too long and boring to go into) and went to the store where I ran into Julie and we talked for 20 minutes or so, mostly about Sunrise Bay politics. (Are some of our leaders related to Dubya?)
Went to the library and took out the video "Million Dollar Baby," which I guess I'll watch, although it doesn't excite me. Also found--a stroke of luck--they had "The Confession" checked in; I promptly checked it out. This is the tell-all book by our former NJ Governor James McCreevy which I've been dying to read. It's actually quite interesting (lots of insider political info from what has traditionally been the most corrupt state in the union--my very own), not to mention the gay part. I'm not moralistic about sexual identity, so am sympathetic to the dilemma he finds himself in as a deeply closeted gay man who becomes more and more prominent. His distress is compounded by his most Catholic of Catholic upbringings--i.e., Irish Catholic.
Made stewed chicken in the crockpot last night and boy, was it good. Very tender and flavorful; easy, too, which is my kind of dinner.
This week has been a relatively lazy one, but next we have appointments or commitments every day but Thursday--damn!

4 comments:

iloveac said...

I want to know exactly how you made the stewed chicken.
Whole chicken...or just the breast?
We have this 3 qt crock pot now and I need to find some good tasting easy recipes.
Years ago I made it in a big pot and just let it stew.
Do you put all the ingredients in the Crock pot in the beginning? Remember I am very late to the crock pot scene.
If I write crock one more time, you'll be convinced I am one.

Mimi said...

I just bought a package each of legs (full, not drumsticks) and thighs and put two of each in, plus a large pared potato, two carrots, and an onion, plus a can and a half of chicken broth. I usually put the veggies on the bottom because years ago, I read they take longer to cook than meat. Stuck it in about noon, turned it to "low" and it was delicious at 5:00. Pat, YOU INSPIRED ME to make stewed chicken, True, I didn't find any labelled that, just used everyday chicken, but I never would have thought of it if you hadn't blogged it.
P.S. Well, at least you don't write "crackpot."

iloveac said...

I'm going to try it this w/e and will let you know. Am assuming you didn't use skinned legs.....such good flavor in the skin.
Do you use Swanson Fat Free chicken broth?
Gotta get to the gym....still procrastinating, but I did the treadmill.

Mimi said...

I didn't use the fat free broth, no, but of course, I could have. Yes, I did leave the skin in because of the better flavor; we removed it before we ate. NOTE: I mis-typed--meant to put in 6:00, which is when we always eat, not 5:00.

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...