Monday, October 16, 2023

Sunday In Guadalajara

 A fairly slow day, but that's all right once in a while. Didn't sleep very well, but napped for an hour later in the day. I have a pretty busy week coming, so decided not to go into town. After breakfast and the crossword (fair to middlin'), I decided to go to the farmers market at the college.

I'm glad I went because it was something new and different and I enjoyed it--it was crowded, but not uncomfortably so. I was taken aback to see a large portion of it was not produce, but all kinds of vendored crapola, from pots and pans to clothing to toys to you name it. Surprisingly, the usual familiar produce--broccoli, squash, spinach, string beans--was nowhere in evidence. What there was, was Latina, some of which I didn't recognize. I enjoyed asking the farmers and shoppers what some of them were and they seemed to enjoy filling in this ignorant gringo

Actually, I saw almost no non-Mexican people and heard Spanish spoken almost exclusively. This pleased me, for some reason, maybe because it was a new experience, which I always enjoy. (I felt as if I were in Guadalajara or something--!Vaya!)  I did, however, get tomatoes and some good citrus--this is California, after all, reducing this pile by two:

I had brought my lunch and sat down at one of the tables set up for that purpose. They had red and white checked oilcloths on them and many others were eating there, too. Ate, then sat for a bit, watching the passing crowd and the little children with their dark eyes. 

Bused home and cooked up the broccoli I had gotten at Trader Joe's and the spinach from Von's; I always like to have veggies ready to heat and eat. Spent spent time on gathering things for GoodWill tomorrow, when Ellen takes me to drop them off. That includes a lot of glassware and some clothing and there's plenty more to go.

Speaking of El: After our conversation on religion the other day, she e-mailed me with a link to a documentary on the Dugger family and I'm watching it. I remember them well and knew  of their extreme conservative beliefs, but hadn't known of the basis for it. Have seen two episodes, will comment more later.   

Dinner at Stone Fire Grille with Soaring Spirits tonight. 

No comments:

Wednesday

Well, things are looking up. I made a decision about the 29 1/2 show on the eighteent and: no, I'm not going to participate. I emailed d...