Saturday, October 14, 2023

Friday And The ChannelAire Chorus

Weight report: Stayed the same at 129 at home, which was fine, and was at 128.2 at T.O.P.S., for a loss of 1.07, even better. Meeting was reasonably short, as leader Lennie had to go somewhere. Home by 10:00, breakfast, putzed around, then showered, washed my hair, and dressed for the Townehouse.

I bused there and was early, but Diane was already there. She was talking with a resident named Jackie, who proved to be interesting, if somewhat of a "look at me, see how great I am" type. She's the music director of the "ChannelAire Chorus," and gave each of us her card: 

                               

It seems odd, to say the least, that her name isn't on it. I'm not quite sure what the outfit is all about, but clearly, they hire themselves out. Looked up their website and saw no mention of Jackie, but did on their Facebook page; she's third from left, looking considerably more glamourous than she did yesterday: 

Jackie tried to persuade both of us to join the chorus--geez, if she ever heard me sing, she'd rue the day. She's a recent resident of The Townehouse--moved in just a month ago after fifty years in Ojai. She lives in one of the cottages on the back expanse, which means she must have big bucks. Said she hasn't eaten in the dining room, yet, but prefers to make her own. That also seems odd--you'd think she'd want to meet others and mingle, considering her talky-talky, but no. We three went into the large gathering room, sat down at a table, and were served wine and hors d'oeuvres. The entertainer was an older guy who sang a medley of mostly Beatles songs--very enjoyable. 

After, we started talking to a woman whose husband had died just three weeks ago. I actually remember seeing his obituary in the Ventura Star, as he was the harbor master at nearby Port Hueneme. Diane and I then repaired to the pleasant, treed patio where we ate what we had brought ourselves--rather, Diane did, but I was so stuffed, I just had the beer I had brought. We sat and talked for more than an hour, Diane into one of her supernatural lectures. She keeps insisting I don't subscribe to her other-worldly ideas because I haven't researched it enough. Nope, don't think so. Access Van picked us up at 5:30 and off we went.

Diane wants us to go again next Friday, but I'm not enthusiastic about it. I like the place and as I've repeated several times to my children and others, if I ever move to a facility like that, The Townehouse is where I'd want to go (although I find that stupid added "e" hard to forgive 😬). However, I don't really want to go as a regular thing, so I told Diane I thought I had something on the agenda. Actually, I don't, but I'll try to arrange to do that.

Note: My friend, Pat, mentioned my careless proofreading of this blog and I plead guilty. Will be more conscientious in the future.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Hey, if the skipped words are simply due to not being proofread…good. I mentioned it because you mentioned you were having other concerns…so this can be put to rest. If I didn’t proofread my blog I’m not sure some of it would make sense.

Mimi said...

Well, it's good you mentioned it because now I am going to be more conscientious about proofing. Just went over today's entry (as I believe you do, I write most in the evening, just top it off in the morning) and darned if there weren't several!

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...