Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nothing of note yesterday except that we saw the two little angels in Singapore. Pat came into the study to participate and precious Vivian "read" us her book about butterflies. Mike held darling Violet up to show us, and she gazed at us obligingly. There was an article in yesterday's NYTimes grandparents and children keeping in touch that way. Well, yes, we've been doing it for almost a year and maintaining the illusion that they're closer helps a lot. Missing them, I mean.
Other than that, it was a wash/dry/fold and put away day. Did four loads (as I've remarked before, the two of us are either incredibly dirty or the cleanest folks in town). Put the Thanksgiving plates, napkins, and so on away.
Later: Went to WW to find I've gained 2 pounds, presumably a result of the birthday party and Thanksgiving in the same week. Uh-oh: next week, I meet Viv for dinner on Monday, have the Women's Club Christmas luncheon on Wednesday, the League's party on Thursday, and a baby shower on Saturday! Well, I'll try to hold the line at my present 127.4, with 72.2 pounds off.
Wider note: This from Robert Scheer, of Truthdig.Com:
"Maybe Ralph Nader was right in predicting that the same Wall Street hustlers would have a lock on our government no matter which major party won the election. I hate to admit it, since it wasn’t that long ago that I heatedly challenged Nader in a debate on this very point.
But how else is one to respond to Barack Obama’s picking the very folks who helped get us into this financial mess to now lead us out of it? Watching the president-elect’s Monday introduction of his economic team, my brother-in-law Pete said, 'You can see the feathers coming out of their mouths' as the foxes were once again put in charge of the henhouse. He didn’t have time to expound on his point, having to get ready to go sort mail in his job at the post office. But he showed me a statement from Citigroup showing that the interest rate on Pete the Postal Worker’s credit card was 28.9 percent, an amount that all major religions would justly condemn as usurious."
And so on and ominously on...

No comments:

Friday

Note: I cannot understand this: I modified this, then published and got the message it would revert to a publishing date of April 26th. Why ...